Feb 3, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
We’ve heard about guys coming to camp in the best shape of their life, but Red Sox’ utilityman Bill Hall doesn’t want any part of that. Why? Because he thinks his workout program was a large part of what caused his post-2006 swoon:
Hall traces his problems since – he batted just .201 last year with Milwaukee and Seattle – to two root causes.
One was a workout regime he attacked with “reckless abandon,” in a
misguided attempt to look like an Adonis. He fasted to keep his body
fat down and neglected baseball-specific exercises, a problem he has
“I was trying to get in the best shape ever, and it probably hurt me
more than helped me as far as injuries,” Hall said. “I blame that on
myself and my own lack of knowledge.”
The other problem, he claims, was a severe high ankle sprain that he rushed back from and which ultimately messed with his swing.
There’s another explanation that Hall doesn’t mention, but which seems more plausible than a three-year ankle sprain and being too buff: teams just started paying closer attention to the guy after his breakout year, throwing him a lot more low and away stuff to see if he can reach it with that open, bat-on-the-shoulder stance of his, and he hasn’t yet been able to adjust to it and lay off the slop.
But maybe that’s too simple an explanation.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)