Brian Giles expects a deal soon

Feb 3, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT

Russel Branyan doesn’t have a job yet. Neither does Johnny Damon, Jermaine Dye and a bunch of other corner outfielder/DH types.  Brian Giles’ agent, however, says that he’s probably gonna sign a deal soon:

Brian Giles’ agent said Tuesday that he’s
optimistic his client will have a contract for the 2010 season
soon . . . Bick said eight to 10 teams have inquired about Giles this
offseason, though he declined to identify them.

Almost certainly a minor league deal, but the fact that anyone is interested the guy who was among baseball’s worst everyday players in 2009 is rather surprising.  Especially when you consider that the dude is pretty much a scumbag.

1. Charles Gates - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Oh, that’s ‘off the field.’ If he does steroids, however, then he’s setting a bad example for our kids.

2. Dan - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:08 PM

First off, I would like to make it clear that Brian Giles beating his wife is in no way defensible. It was a terrible thing to do, and he should rightfully be punished for it.
    However, I do have a problem with the way Circling The Bases has dealt with these issues. A previous example would be labeling Matt Bush a disappointment as a human being after his two run-in’s with the law. These two players deserve punishment. My problem is that this website treats these people like scum of the earth for one or two incidences. I realize in the video that it says that there may have been multiple beatings, and with the video, it would be hard to assume that such a statement was made up. However, you would be naive to assume that the only cases of these things happening are caught on camera. Just because someone was caught doesn’t make them more of a scumbag than someone who wasn’t caught.
    Calling someone a scumbag or disappointment on a public website is rather destructive to their image. People make mistakes. Some people make huge mistakes. Let’s not pretend, though, that Matt Bush and Brian Giles are alone in this.
    Again, I in no way defend their behavior. I only think that they, like anyone else, deserve a second chance. Sometimes, in cases like Josh Hamilton’s, people can change.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I totally believe in second chances and I don’t think Giles should be blackballed. However, there is — at least in my opinion — a fundamental difference between a drug abuser like Josh Hamilton and a wife (or girlfriend) beater like Brian Giles.
    He’s on video doing it, he plead guilty to doing it. I find such abuse to be more reprehensible than anything this side of child abuse, and no matter what else he does in his life, I’m going to think poorly of him.
    Sorry, that’s just how I roll.

4. Charles Gates - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I’m ok calling Giles a scumbag until he proves he’s made some positive changes. By your logic, Josh Hamilton was never a junkie because he cleaned up his life.
    I’m also ok thinking you’re of below average intelligence until you post here with more coherent arguments/comments. I’m not saying you aren’t a fool, you just haven’t proved it yet.

5. Dan - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Trying hard to understand how you are tying my comments to anything related to intelligence. Also, when did I ever say that Josh Hamilton no longer has a history of being a junkie in his past just because he isn’t one anymore?
    Your comments are in no way thought out or constructive. I’m not quite sure you understand what I was saying.

6. Charles Gates - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I apoligize for my attack on Dan.
    I do, however, firmly believe that calling Giles a scumbag, or anything similar, is completely appropriate considering his actions.

7. Dan - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Craig, I completely understand your sentiment on the issue. I would also whole-heartedly agree with the thought that drug abuse is in no way comparable to the beating of a girlfriend.
    Like I said, I, myself, do not currently have a very great image of Brian Giles. I wouldn’t say anything more than what he did was wrong. We can’t take one moment in a person’s life, though, and define their character by those single actions.
    There, to me at least, is a big difference between saying someone was wrong, and labeling someone as a scumbag.

8. Dan - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Don’t worry about the comment. I completely understand your guys’ comments, as well. I just don’t side with them. I will say, though, that telling someone they have below average intelligence because of their differing opinions is not conducive to discussion.

9. Charles Gates - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM

You’re right, the person who isn’t caught isn’t more of a scumbag, they’re both equally scum. Therefore, it’s ok to call the person who was caught a scumbag even if we don’t know about the transgressions of those who haven’t been.
    I only think that they, like anyone else, deserve a second chance.
    Legally, yes. Giles pleaded guilty. Assuming he’s completed his sentence, then he’s legally free, so to speak. The completion of the sentence does not, however’ erase what he did to that woman.
    For certain things, like this instance, we absolutely can. This is one of those times where sample sizes don’t matter.

10. sjp - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM

What are the odds that the ONLY time Giles beat a woman that he was caught on camera? Seems like slim odds to me.
    I admit this is conjecture, but the normal pattern for such behavior is that it is done in private to begin with, and as the person becomes more accustomed to committing such acts, they get less and less careful/self conscious of where and when they are doing them. In other words, if you beat a woman/child in public, it isn’t the first time.

11. Ed - Feb 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM

My Dad beat me, my siblings and my mom for years. **** you Giles\. Oneday you have to face a higher power for your crimes and NO amount of money will save your pathetic crappy a$$.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win