Cal Ripken Jr. has advice for Miguel Tejada

Feb 3, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT

Miguel Tejada has never played a position other than shortstop in 13 seasons as a major leaguer, but after signing with the Orioles last month he’ll slide to third base this year.
Of course, an MVP shortstop moving to third base is nothing new in Baltimore and Cal Ripken Jr. shared his advice for Tejada with MASNSports.com’s Roch Kubatko:

The hardest part is reworking the way that you think about the position. At a new position, you have to learn new responsibilities. There is a mental change. The physical change is that the ball comes off the bat at different angles. At shortstop, the ball comes off the bat pretty true. At third base, the ball slices differently off the bat of left-handed hitters and right-handed hitters.

Dad used to say that when a guy moves to a new position, it would take about 100 games to get comfortable, and I found that to be about right. I have no doubt that Miggy will make the adjustment and do really well. I would tell him to be patient and not get discouraged. He will get more comfortable as the season progresses.

Tejada is only signed to a one-year deal, so if it takes him 100 games to get comfortable at third base the Orioles won’t be very happy. However, my guess is that it’ll be Tejada’s offense rather than his defense that will disappoint in 2010.

1. Jeff V. - Feb 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Considering Tejada was signed as a one year stop gap I find it unlikely that his offense or defense will disappoint. No one in Baltimore is expecting the Tejada that signed there last time.
    His job is just to be in the lineup everyday at 3rd until September.

2. Grant - Feb 3, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Yeah, pretty much. As to why Garrett Atkins or Ty Wigginton couldn’t be that stopgap, I have no idea. But hey, I don’t make the big bucks.

3. Daniel - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I took a look at how Tejada might transition to third by looking at other shortstops that have made the move in recent years, as well as third-basemen who seem to have similar skill sets defensively according to Fan Scouting Reports:
    I got that Tejada would be average to a bit below average defensively, which probably squares pretty well with your concluding sentence.

4. Zonebrick - Feb 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Tejada is a far vastly superior hitter to both Atkins (who’s slated to play 1B by the way) and Wigginton.

5. reborn baby wigs - Feb 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM

You sincerely expect us to believe that you actually understand what you are talking about? My pet spider knows more than you. We love Britney

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3891)