Feb 3, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
Cito Gaston, on the Blue Jays’ closer situation:
“It’s going to be between [Scott Downs and Jason Frasor] and anybody else that Alex brings into camp.”
I get what he’s saying — the Jays may, for example, bring in Kevin Gregg before the end of the day — but there has to be better way way of saying it than that, because the way Gaston said it makes it sound like he’d rather have any warm body closing than Downs or Frasor. Seems like the right tack for a manager would be to limit his assessments to the guys who are actually on the team and leave the speculating to the front office people.
That quibble aside, smart guys I know think that Downs is the much smarter play at closer than Frasor due to the fact that (a) he’s a lefty who could be dealt at the deadline if he does well; and (b) he gets more ground balls than Frasor.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27