Feb 3, 2010, 11:51 PM EDT
A couple of days ago Jose Canseco broke out of his shell and decided to – for once – attract a little bit of attention to himself, humbly offering to show former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker the ropes around the MMA world.
Actually, in a tweet, what Canseco wrote was that he would “have to show Herschel Walker who the real bad Boy of the Sports Industry is.”
Walker (pictured), the former NFL running back who also competed on the U.S. Olympic bobsled team in 1992 and holds a fifth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, is now dabbling in MMA. In his first bout on Saturday, the 47-year-old Walker beat a 26-year-old Hungarian fighter.
So if Canseco’s aim was to strike fear in Walker’s heart, well, I think you’d have to consider that a major fail. Here is Walker’s response to the former slugger’s offer:
“What I do is not a circus …,” Walker told hosts of The Bob & Dan Show, which was broadcasting from Miami for the Super Bowl. “I didn’t get into this to make money, I got into it for the competition. Jose is doing this for the money and my thing is, if he wants to fight me and thinks it’s going to be a circus, I will hurt him. This is not a joke, I will hurt him.”
Canseco does have some “experience” in the ring. Last May, he lasted 77 seconds before being knocked out by a 7-foot-2 Chinese fighter in an MMA bout. Last January, he managed a draw after staggering, but failing to knock out, former child acting star Danny Bonaduce in a boxing match. And in 2008, Canseco was dominated by former Philadelphia Eagle Vai Sikahema in a boxing match ambitiously titled the “War at the Shore.”
But despite his dubious fighting history, Canseco isn’t backing down. Just tonight he tweeted this:
Just so you know, I was not professionally trained to fight in any of my other fights. Things will be different this time around.
Beware Herschel, beware.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)