Feb 3, 2010, 11:51 PM EDT
A couple of days ago Jose Canseco broke out of his shell and decided to – for once – attract a little bit of attention to himself, humbly offering to show former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker the ropes around the MMA world.
Actually, in a tweet, what Canseco wrote was that he would “have to show Herschel Walker who the real bad Boy of the Sports Industry is.”
Walker (pictured), the former NFL running back who also competed on the U.S. Olympic bobsled team in 1992 and holds a fifth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, is now dabbling in MMA. In his first bout on Saturday, the 47-year-old Walker beat a 26-year-old Hungarian fighter.
So if Canseco’s aim was to strike fear in Walker’s heart, well, I think you’d have to consider that a major fail. Here is Walker’s response to the former slugger’s offer:
“What I do is not a circus …,” Walker told hosts of The Bob & Dan Show, which was broadcasting from Miami for the Super Bowl. “I didn’t get into this to make money, I got into it for the competition. Jose is doing this for the money and my thing is, if he wants to fight me and thinks it’s going to be a circus, I will hurt him. This is not a joke, I will hurt him.”
Canseco does have some “experience” in the ring. Last May, he lasted 77 seconds before being knocked out by a 7-foot-2 Chinese fighter in an MMA bout. Last January, he managed a draw after staggering, but failing to knock out, former child acting star Danny Bonaduce in a boxing match. And in 2008, Canseco was dominated by former Philadelphia Eagle Vai Sikahema in a boxing match ambitiously titled the “War at the Shore.”
But despite his dubious fighting history, Canseco isn’t backing down. Just tonight he tweeted this:
Just so you know, I was not professionally trained to fight in any of my other fights. Things will be different this time around.
Beware Herschel, beware.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 4
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 12
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)