Feb 3, 2010, 11:51 PM EST
A couple of days ago Jose Canseco broke out of his shell and decided to – for once – attract a little bit of attention to himself, humbly offering to show former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker the ropes around the MMA world.
Actually, in a tweet, what Canseco wrote was that he would “have to show Herschel Walker who the real bad Boy of the Sports Industry is.”
Walker (pictured), the former NFL running back who also competed on the U.S. Olympic bobsled team in 1992 and holds a fifth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, is now dabbling in MMA. In his first bout on Saturday, the 47-year-old Walker beat a 26-year-old Hungarian fighter.
So if Canseco’s aim was to strike fear in Walker’s heart, well, I think you’d have to consider that a major fail. Here is Walker’s response to the former slugger’s offer:
“What I do is not a circus …,” Walker told hosts of The Bob & Dan Show, which was broadcasting from Miami for the Super Bowl. “I didn’t get into this to make money, I got into it for the competition. Jose is doing this for the money and my thing is, if he wants to fight me and thinks it’s going to be a circus, I will hurt him. This is not a joke, I will hurt him.”
Canseco does have some “experience” in the ring. Last May, he lasted 77 seconds before being knocked out by a 7-foot-2 Chinese fighter in an MMA bout. Last January, he managed a draw after staggering, but failing to knock out, former child acting star Danny Bonaduce in a boxing match. And in 2008, Canseco was dominated by former Philadelphia Eagle Vai Sikahema in a boxing match ambitiously titled the “War at the Shore.”
But despite his dubious fighting history, Canseco isn’t backing down. Just tonight he tweeted this:
Just so you know, I was not professionally trained to fight in any of my other fights. Things will be different this time around.
Beware Herschel, beware.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 3
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 26
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)