If Canseco wants a fight, Herschel Walker 'will hurt' him

Feb 3, 2010, 11:51 PM EDT

herschel-walker-mma.standard[1].jpgA couple of days ago Jose Canseco broke out of his shell and decided to – for once – attract a little bit of attention to himself, humbly offering to show former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker the ropes around the MMA world.

Actually, in a tweet, what Canseco wrote was that he would “have to show Herschel Walker who the real bad Boy of the Sports Industry is.”

Walker (pictured), the former NFL running back who also competed on the U.S. Olympic bobsled team in 1992 and holds a fifth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, is now dabbling in MMA. In his first bout on Saturday, the 47-year-old Walker beat a 26-year-old Hungarian fighter.

So if Canseco’s aim was to strike fear in Walker’s heart, well, I think you’d have to consider that a major fail. Here is Walker’s response to the former slugger’s offer:

“What I do is not a circus …,” Walker told hosts of The Bob & Dan Show, which was broadcasting from Miami for the Super Bowl. “I didn’t get into this to make money, I got into it for the competition. Jose is doing this for the money and my thing is, if he wants to fight me and thinks it’s going to be a circus, I will hurt him. This is not a joke, I will hurt him.”

Canseco does have some “experience” in the ring. Last May, he lasted 77 seconds before being knocked out by a 7-foot-2 Chinese fighter in an MMA bout. Last January, he managed a draw after staggering, but failing to knock out, former child acting star Danny Bonaduce in a boxing match. And in 2008, Canseco was dominated by former Philadelphia Eagle Vai Sikahema in a boxing match ambitiously titled the “War at the Shore.”

But despite his dubious fighting history, Canseco isn’t backing down. Just tonight he tweeted this:

Just so you know, I was not professionally trained to fight in any of my other fights. Things will be different this time around.

Beware Herschel, beware.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your CTB updates here.

1. ochocinco - Feb 4, 2010 at 1:01 AM

I hope this goes down on an aircraft carrier!

2. Brandon - Feb 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Hong Man Choi is actually South Korean.

3. BTfromVT - Feb 4, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Walker will stomp him. Personally, I’d like to see Canseco fight McGwire, just to see how long it take Mac too cry

4. Wade - Feb 4, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Ummmm…that photo…where did it come from? Herchel is considerably more proportionate than said photo implies. Looks like someone hit the Photoshop “2x zoom” button on his head. Eeesh.
    Aaaaanywho, he’ll destroy Canseco. 47 or not, that man is incredibly fast and incredibly powerfu.

5. Jerf - Feb 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM

gay or not gay?

6. a - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM

damn, i’m dying to read about the aftermath

7. Ryan - Feb 4, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Jesus, MMA is retarded. If you think baseball is soap opera, MMA is a years worth of weekday soap programming crammed into every event.

8. David - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Ryan – you obviously have no clue what you are talking about – MMA is not the WWE – do some research before running your mouth on here

9. Paul in KY - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Herschel will politely kill him. With a bemused smile on his face as he does it.
    I hope it comes off as I like a good beatdown as much as the next guy (as long as it’s not happening to me).

10. Rays fan - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Walker’s a 5th degree black belt in tae kwon do. Canseco’s an even bigger dolt than I gave him discredit for if ever climbs into a ring with Hershel Walker.

11. Omega in Colorado - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Canseco has always been one of my favorite people in the world. As a player I always rooted for the big lug.
    Post baseball, he stirred some crap up and helped get an honest dialogue about the ‘Steroid Era’ started.
    That being said, sometimes the man just doesn’t know when to STFU. Walker will destroy him in a fight, did you see that promo pic from his first fight?

12. Ryan - Feb 4, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Please, have you seen the commercials, promotions and storylines for MMA? The fact that (and I’m not sure it’s truly factual) they are actually fighting each other is secondary.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3422)