Feb 3, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
Really he may be Scott Boras’ only hope, as outlined by Morosi in his latest FOX column. After recounting the well-known story about how Boras failed to accurately read the market for Damon, Morosi traced Boras’ steps:
Boras retreated to a bunker in his Newport Beach
lair and broke the emergency glass over a seldom-used manual:
How to create a market for stars using duct tape and chicken
wire … two weeks before spring training.
It’s been some time since Boras has delved this deep
into his playbook. He didn’t need to go to extraordinary
lengths at this time last year, when it was widely assumed that
Manny Ramirez was going to be a Dodger.
This is different. Boras is trying to find a new lead suitor
at a time when many teams are finalizing their rosters for the year
So, he’s doing for Damon what he did for Ivan Rodriguez
in 2004 and Magglio Ordonez one year later. In each case, the
handbook prescribed the same first step.
Get Tigers owner Mike Ilitch on the phone.
And it has to be Ilitch, because GM Dave Dombrowski and others in the Tigers’ front office have already said no-way on Damon. The owner and his money trumps, however, and given his track record, I could see him finding an extra couple of million for Damon and Boras.
I’m kind of torn about it. On the one hand, I kind of like Johnny Damon as a player, I hate seeing him twist like this, and I think that at his current price — which I figure is going to be a year and maybe $5 million — he’d be a nice addition to the Tigers. On the other hand, I really would like to see Scott Boras get burned in spectacular fashion once in a while because, well, just because.
I try to limit my schadenfreude intake as much as possible, however, so I suppose I’ll root for the former outcome and hope that Damon and the Tigers hook up soon. And then we can all get on with our lives.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)