Nomar Garciaparra headed for retirement?

Feb 3, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT

garciaparra.JPG36-year-old free agent Nomar
Garciaparra is “widely expected” to retire, according to Susan Slusser of
the San Francisco Chronicle

Garciaparra posted a disappointing .281/.314/.388 batting line with three home runs and 16 RBI in 160 at-bats as a backup corner infielder for the A’s last season.  He’s a major injury risk and is no longer a reliable defensive infielder, even at first base.  Par for the course, he has not been linked to any teams this offseason.

Nomar spent 13 seasons in the big leagues, starting in Boston and making stops with Chicago (Cubs), Los Angeles (Dodgers) and finally Oakland.  If he is indeed retiring, the California native will finish with a stellar .313/.361/.521 career batting line, 229 career home runs and 1,747 career hits.  Garciaparra won the Rookie of the Year in 1997 and was voted to six All-Star games.

He’s widely regarded as one of the classiest guys in the business and he no doubt has a stack of after-baseball opportunities available to him.  But Nomar might prefer to spend the next chapter of his life driving his overly athletic kids to baseball, basketball, football, soccer, lacrosse, hockey, and maybe even slamball practice.  Don’t let John Calipari near those children.  He’d have them in Kentucky gear by age 10.

1. john pileggi - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Nice man. Too bad he was not there for the end of the jinx. There is life after baseball and hopefully he gets to experience it for a long time.

2. kevin jr - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:36 PM

went to his baseball camp in boston very nice man , gave all of us campers tip on hitting and fielding. he is my favorite ball player , I wear #5 for my team , wish he was with sox in 2004 he did get a ring so i am happy about that. will miss watching him play always will be a red sox. ps . to theo and the boys his #5 should not be worn by any player just like clemens # 21

3. Amol - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:44 PM

One can only hope that he takes a moment during his retirement announcement to tell Bryant Gumbel to shove it.

4. Rays fan - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM

best wishes to Mr Mia Hamm!

5. Rudy Gamble - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM

a shame he couldn’t even manage one 500+ AB season after 29. crazy how similar his career feels to vern stephens (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/stephve01.shtml). absolutely sick offensive numbers for a SS up to 29 and then injuries killed them…

6. kenneth norman - Feb 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM

As a Red Sox season ticket holder, Nomar was the only reason I attended games. He gave 100% all the time. Tremendous athlete. Pleasure to watch. May have Hall of Fame credentials.

7. Mark C - Feb 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Definitely a great player in his prime and a person who is a class act! However big questions still linger. How does one of the great players of his generation suddenly lose his skills so quickly while still in his prime? Yes, he was injured often, which only adds to the questions. It couldn’t have been the ‘yips’ like a pitcher who suddenly can’t find the strike zone. So what was it? Baseball fans would really like to know.

8. Dave - Feb 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

This is sad… he’s definitely one of the classiest guys in the game. While Gumble was way out of line calling him out like that with no hard evidence, there would be little surprise if he were to come out as a juicer.
    One of the big tell tale signs of PED abuse is massive fall off coupled with massive injuries. (Giambi is the classic case here) There’s also that ridiculous magazine cover of him topless. The sad part is, just like Bonds, I highly doubt Nomar would have (if he in fact did) needed the stuff to be successful.
    My honest opinion is he did in fact juice, I just don’t see how someone so naturally gifted could go from being so ridiculously dominant to washed up in a span of two years. But that doesn’t change the fact he was a stellar player and an awesome guy.

9. Dennis - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I worked with Nomar on a video baseball game and he is a classy guy… very nice and grounded. One of the thrills of my life was playing cacth and turning double plays with him for a motion capture session. WOW!

10. Cru11 - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I was lucky enough to be in Chicago the day of the Nomar trade and I remember the huge buzz that it caused. The next day I was again, lucky enough to be at Wrigley and watch him make his debut and be a part of the standing ovation. Fantastic memory of a fantastic player.

11. Chris - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Nomar on several occasions and he is by far the standard on how I base the integrity of celebrities. Such a great guy and no where near deserving the crappy exit the Red Sox gave him. Shame on them! I’m a Yankee fan who lives in Boston and I had no greater pleasure than watching Nomar and Jeter play on the same field. That was truly a gift to baseball fans.
    Part of me wishes he’d come back just one more year…and frankly, he could if he so chose…he could be a mid season pick up, ya just never know! Good Luck Nomar, you’re one of the last in a dying breed giving way to egocentric kids who show no respect for the game and I will miss you terribly!

12. Mary O. Moore - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Thank you for the information I kind of knew some of that but you enlightened me on a little more.

13. Doug - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I remember watching him pull that groin live…YOWTCH

14. Jack Conachy - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I have met nomar a couple of time in Boston and LA, one of the most outstanding guys you will ever meet, Glad to have seen the red sox gave him his ring…ending of an era. The first ball game i saw when i moved to the states was a sox game and nomar hit the winning run. Very classy very talented and just a good guy..best of luck in your new endeavors.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2503)