Feb 3, 2010, 6:23 PM EDT
36-year-old free agent Nomar
Garciaparra is “widely expected” to retire, according to Susan Slusser of
the San Francisco Chronicle.
Garciaparra posted a disappointing .281/.314/.388 batting line with three home runs and 16 RBI in 160 at-bats as a backup corner infielder for the A’s last season. He’s a major injury risk and is no longer a reliable defensive infielder, even at first base. Par for the course, he has not been linked to any teams this offseason.
Nomar spent 13 seasons in the big leagues, starting in Boston and making stops with Chicago (Cubs), Los Angeles (Dodgers) and finally Oakland. If he is indeed retiring, the California native will finish with a stellar .313/.361/.521 career batting line, 229 career home runs and 1,747 career hits. Garciaparra won the Rookie of the Year in 1997 and was voted to six All-Star games.
He’s widely regarded as one of the classiest guys in the business and he no doubt has a stack of after-baseball opportunities available to him. But Nomar might prefer to spend the next chapter of his life driving his overly athletic kids to baseball, basketball, football, soccer, lacrosse, hockey, and maybe even slamball practice. Don’t let John Calipari near those children. He’d have them in Kentucky gear by age 10.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)