Quote of the Day: Jimmie Lee Solomon

Feb 3, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT

Jimmie Lee Solomon is MLB’s Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations. Based on this passage from today’s MLB.com feature about him, I like the cut of his jib:

Solomon enrolled at Harvard Law School, and after 10 years at a
Washington law firm, where he worked his way up to partner, he left to
become director of Minor League operations for Major League Baseball.
Commissioner Bud Selig later promoted Solomon to senior vice president
of baseball operations and then promoted him again in 2005 to his
present role as executive vice president of baseball operations.

“I hated every second,” Solomon said of his career in law. “I decided to get back into sports.”

It’s this sort of thing that reminds me of what people sometimes say about sex and pizza and stuff:  Even when it’s bad, it’s still kind of good.  Writing about baseball is the same way, which makes me wonder how newspaper columnists can get crotchety and bitter about the game as so many of them do.

1. chris - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM

/channeling Murray Chass
    Eh, you young whippersnappers have it so easy today! In my day, players had to work in factories during the offseason because they were REAL men! They didn’t have all this fitness bull(bleep). We didn’t need these high-falutin’ computers that spit out all these (bleeping) numbers that I can’t even read. I got all the knowledge I need from sitting in Pullman cars and hotel bars. How dare you snot-nosed little bastards question me?

2. ecp - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Have you even had a Pizza Hut pizza lately? When it’s bad (which it usually is), it’s nowhere near “still kind of good.” It is, in fact, downright awful. Life is too short for bad pizza; and despite the fact that I have to drive 15 miles each way to get the good stuff, as opposed to eating the junk I can have delivered to my door, I’ll drive every time.

3. sirsean - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:20 PM

What are you on about? Pizza Hut is a perfect example of “even when it’s bad, it’s still kind of good.”

4. ecp - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Then your Pizza Hut must be waaaaay better than mine.

5. online stock trading - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM

There is obviously a lot to learn. There are some good points here.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3193)