Feb 3, 2010, 2:20 PM EST
As far as pre-spring training time-wasters go, this is one of the better ones: lar from Wezen-Ball ranking the best baseball statues on a ballpark-by-ballpark basis.
He has the Pirates’ first, and it’s hard to disagree with that. Nice statues with clean lines and bold poses. A lot of generic, no-name ballplayer statues bring up the rear. The lowest-ranked park with an actual, specific ballplayer is the Babe Ruth statue at Camden Yards. I agree, it’s kind of a lazy statue. I mean, you don’t need to go crazy or anything, but a little action is nice.
Anyway, it’s something to do while we wait to cross another baseball-free day off the calendar.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 53
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)