The Blue Jays get new turf

Feb 3, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT

There will be new fake grass for the Rogers Centre this year.  It’s supposed to look more like real grass and have fewer seams, but the real impetus for it is that it can be removed and replaced faster than the old turf, thereby allowing the good people at Rogers Communications to book more concerts and tractor pulls and curling tournaments and stuff than they could before.

That’s nice and all, but I’m with Dick Allen on this one: If a cow can’t eat it, I don’t wanna play on it.  Or watch, it.  Really, if given the choice, I will watch any other game before I’ll watch a Rays or Blue Jays game, and previously a Twins game, simply because I can’t stand to watch games on turf.

1. Jonny5 - Feb 3, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I’m with ya….. It just looks so painful to dive for a fly ball on turf…. owwww! The Vet was the worst!!!! If I were a player I’d think twice about playing for a team with bad turf.

2. BC - Feb 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Tug McGraw put it best:
    Q: Do you prefer grass or astroturf?
    A: I dunno. I never smoked any Astroturf.

3. BC - Feb 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM

The late Tug McGraw said it best:
    Q: Do you prefer grass or Astroturf?
    A: I dunno. I never smoked Astroturf.

4. JE - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Cheer up, Craig! It was not THAT long ago that well over a majority of MLB games were played on artificial turf. (Hell, I still remember when the Mets considered installing turf at Shea back in the early 80s!) We are now down to two out of 30 ballparks. Two.

5. barseball - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Twins games did have the centered centerfield camera. I’m anxiously waiting to see if this carries over to the new stadium. Really, once you’ve watched pitching with the centered camera anything else is incredibly obnoxious. Turf or no turf, I’ll take the centered camera above all else. Although natural grass is much better.
    I think there’s only one other MLB team that uses the centered centerfield camera.

6. Matt C - Feb 3, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Isn’t it funny how turf for a baseball game is so offensive and distracting, but I can watch a football game on turf and not even notice? Am I the only one who knows this phenomenon?

7. Ryan - Feb 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM

this++
    I hate when my team goes on the road and I have to watch that stupid angled camera where I can barely tell what pitch was thrown. Pitches seem to either not move at all or move like 30 feet when thrown by a lefty in tight to a righty.

8. Andrew - Feb 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I wish they’d at least change the infield to dirt.

9. ROb - Feb 3, 2010 at 8:23 PM

The turf feels good and has a foam like under padding.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4899)