Feb 3, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT
In an effort to boost revenue streams Target Field will be home to more than just baseball games when the Twins’ new $550 million ballpark opens in a couple months, with Allison Kaplan of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reporting that the team plans to host weddings, bar mitzvahs, reunions, charity balls, and various other private events.
If you’re willing to fork over $5,000 the ballpark has space that can accommodate 800 guests for a sit-down meal and for an added fee you can even get Harmon Killebrew, Rod Carew, or Tony Oliva to show up. A wedding at home plate costs $3,500 and I’m endlessly amused to note that my friend and fellow Twins blogger Howard Sinker will be the first to get married at Target Field:
Howard Sinker and Julie Townsend have the distinction of being the first couple getting married (off field) at Target Field on April 24. They met at a playoff game party in 2004 and shared season tickets throughout their courtship.
“When we were looking at places where we could possibly get married that would be meaningful and fun, this was at the top of the list,” said Sinker, a Web sports coordinator for StarTribune.com who reported on the Twins in the 1980s.
Their love of baseball does have its limits. “We wouldn’t have done this at the Metrodome,” Townsend said. “It’s not going to be a baseball-themed wedding. We’re having a nice, elegant wedding that happens to be at a baseball field. (Target Field) has totally exceeded my expectations.”
Having watched a Twins game with Sinker and his lovely fiancee that sounds like a perfect fit, whereas getting married at the Metrodome sounded like something to threaten your girlfriend with in the middle of a fight. As in, “If you make me sit through another dinner at your parents’ house we’re getting married at the Metrodome!” Mazel tov, Howard.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 18
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)