You can get hitched at the Twins' new ballpark

Feb 3, 2010, 12:50 PM EDT

In an effort to boost revenue streams Target Field will be home to more than just baseball games when the Twins’ new $550 million ballpark opens in a couple months, with Allison Kaplan of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reporting that the team plans to host weddings, bar mitzvahs, reunions, charity balls, and various other private events.
If you’re willing to fork over $5,000 the ballpark has space that can accommodate 800 guests for a sit-down meal and for an added fee you can even get Harmon Killebrew, Rod Carew, or Tony Oliva to show up. A wedding at home plate costs $3,500 and I’m endlessly amused to note that my friend and fellow Twins blogger Howard Sinker will be the first to get married at Target Field:

Howard Sinker and Julie Townsend have the distinction of being the first couple getting married (off field) at Target Field on April 24. They met at a playoff game party in 2004 and shared season tickets throughout their courtship.

“When we were looking at places where we could possibly get married that would be meaningful and fun, this was at the top of the list,” said Sinker, a Web sports coordinator for StarTribune.com who reported on the Twins in the 1980s.

Their love of baseball does have its limits. “We wouldn’t have done this at the Metrodome,” Townsend said. “It’s not going to be a baseball-themed wedding. We’re having a nice, elegant wedding that happens to be at a baseball field. (Target Field) has totally exceeded my expectations.”

Having watched a Twins game with Sinker and his lovely fiancee that sounds like a perfect fit, whereas getting married at the Metrodome sounded like something to threaten your girlfriend with in the middle of a fight. As in, “If you make me sit through another dinner at your parents’ house we’re getting married at the Metrodome!” Mazel tov, Howard.

1. Kepmeister - Feb 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Odd that anyone should have to pay since the taxpayers picked up most of the bill for the stadium. The Twin’s owners are unbelievably greedy and have the politicians in their pockets so I guess we should be grateful they let us in the stadium at all.

2. pwndxd - Feb 4, 2010 at 5:22 PM

kepmeister……. just shut up.

3. Monet Hinnenkamp - Feb 5, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Very good text. I’ve found your site via Google and I’m really glad about the information you provide in your posts. Btw your sites layout is really broken on the Chrome browser. Would be great if you could fix that. Anyhow keep up the good work!

4. Kyle Compau - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Lol this reminds me of when someone sent along this link on Youtube of Jay-Z’s appearance on my radio show back in 1995. Joining in were Mr. Voodoo and L Swift, of the now legendary Natural Elements crew (who hit the scene soon after Mr. Voodoo joined the show as my intern).

5. Pioneer Amplifier - Feb 16, 2010 at 7:40 PM

This is a great blog. I’ve been searching for pioneer information for a while now, and I’m glad to have finally found info that’s useful. Thanks!

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug