Feb 4, 2010, 2:22 PM EDT
Many thought that Bobby Valentine’s return from Japan would mean a manager’s job. Washington? Pass. Cleveland? Pass. Queens? Pending. In the meantime, however, it’s good to see that he’s keeping busy:
Bobby Valentine has guided baseball teams to championship titles in faraway
countries, helped professional baseball players gain free agency rights
and won a National League pennant with the New York Mets. Now, the Stamford native will attempt to reform the city’s fire service.
Valentine, the hometown celebrity whose career in professional baseball brought him from manager of two Major League Baseball teams to the Chiba Lotte Marines in Japan, will join local fire
officials, attorneys and politicians on a group formed by Mayor Michael Pavia.
The group’s goal, the mayor said, is to improve the city’s fire service
after years of litigation, mistrust and dysfunction between the city
and its six fire departments.
My old man once headed up a similar task force with respect to ambulance services in Flint, Michigan back in the mid 70s. It bought him a bunch of headaches and even a few death threats from the people who didn’t much care to be reformed. Eventually he said to hell with it. Here’s hoping Bobby V. has better luck.
Especially considering that I have a vested interest in certain buildings in Stamford, Connecticut not burning down to the ground because of some bureaucratic snafu. No, I don’t work in Stamford, but I’ve got an NBC Sports fanny pack on order, it’s probably in a warehouse there right now and I’d hate to have something happen to it.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)