Defense in sex-for-World Series tickets case: "You can be a slut; that's not illegal"

Feb 4, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT

I missed this one the other day, but our colleagues over at Out of Bounds pass along news of that lady who — allegedly! –  tried to get World Series tickets in exchange for sex. The news:  her lawyer is totally, totally awesome:

Even if Finkelstein intended to trade sex for tickets – which she
denies – that wouldn’t make her a prostitute, her lawyer argued
yesterday in Bucks County Court.  “You can be a slut; that’s not illegal,” attorney William J. Brennan said, comparing it to someone “who buys a woman a cosmopolitan and then has sex.”

The judge was not persuaded by that argument for some reason.  Baffling really.

Anyone up for a cosmo?

1. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

If the gov’t could tax sex, they would, since they can’t they said,
    a woman selling HER body is illegal.The same for drugs, please don’t start on steoids.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Feb 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Not only is it not illegal, it’s encouraged.
    /zing

3. Jonny5 - Feb 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM

If she was 10 years younger the Judge could have been bought off for the same exact “alleged crime”. This is so damn funny!!! It just sucks that she had to be a national example of a Phillies fan……. I swear….

4. gumbercules - Feb 4, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Crap. Bad court thingee…what is that from? It’s on the tip of my tongue, dammit.

5. Drew - Feb 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Lionel Hutz, attorney at law.

6. ecp - Feb 4, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Actually, some definitions say that “slut” = “prostitute,” and under that circumstance being one is illegal almost anywhere.
    This reminds me of something a lawyer friend of mine used to say: If you get pulled over and the officer asks if you have been drinking, always say no (even if you have been) because while it’s illegal to drive drunk, it’s not illegal to lie to a police officer.

7. Zach Sanders - Feb 4, 2010 at 4:59 PM

This lawyer is better than Jackie Chiles, which is something I thought I’d never say.

8. Curious George - Feb 4, 2010 at 5:21 PM

“Will you respect me in the morning?”
    “I don’t respect you now.”

9. Tommy - Feb 4, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Yes it is…its called obstruction of justice

10. AmericanSexandMoney - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:21 AM

In the Washington DC metropolitan area (Northern Virginia, Montgomery and PG Countes, etc.) a “slut” is someone who has sex because she likes sex, and usually with several or more partners (not simultaneously). A “Prostitute” also known as a “whore” has sex for money. Sluts do not require explicit “payment” for the sex; prostitutes do. –Brooke at americansexandmoney.com

11. Ryan - Feb 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Nice to know that the justice system there is focusing on the real criminals. Thanks for putting that tax revenue to good use guys! This one time, my FRIEND took a girl out, spent some money on her, took her home and never called her again. OH NO THE HUMANITY! SOCIETY IS RUINED!

12. Benny B. - Feb 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Colonel Kwik-E-Marts Kentucky Style Burbon. Whats That? You want me to drink you? But everybody’s watching! Ok maybe just one Drink…

13. Elvin Broccolo - Feb 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Very informative text. I’ve found your site via Yahoo and I’m really glad about the information you provide in your posts. Btw your blogs layout is really messed up on the Kmelon browser. Would be cool if you could fix that. Anyhow keep up the great work!

14. search engine optimisation - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Hello, good post. I look forward to your next post. Thank you, Joanna

15. licitatii - Feb 9, 2010 at 4:12 PM

I admire what you have done here. I like the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that this is working for you as well.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3848)