Feb 4, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
“When [Carlos] Beltran had surgery, I thought I had a chance, and maybe they would give me a chance at center, but they get Matthews Jr., and now I’m not sure where I am.”
To be fair he followed that up by saying a lot of positive things about not giving up and working hard and everything, but if the prospect of a spring training competition with Gary Freakin’ Matthews gives him pause, he needs to take the Don’s advice.
Of course, it’s also possible that Martinez already knows he can outplay Matthews, but simply realizes that if the Mets are given a choice they’ll invariably make the wrong decision. In this case going with Matthews over Martinez regardless of how they each play.
Oh, and because I haven’t bashed the Mets enough today, here’s a fun motivational gift for the Mets fan on your shopping list.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 35
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 4
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)