Feb 4, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
“When [Carlos] Beltran had surgery, I thought I had a chance, and maybe they would give me a chance at center, but they get Matthews Jr., and now I’m not sure where I am.”
To be fair he followed that up by saying a lot of positive things about not giving up and working hard and everything, but if the prospect of a spring training competition with Gary Freakin’ Matthews gives him pause, he needs to take the Don’s advice.
Of course, it’s also possible that Martinez already knows he can outplay Matthews, but simply realizes that if the Mets are given a choice they’ll invariably make the wrong decision. In this case going with Matthews over Martinez regardless of how they each play.
Oh, and because I haven’t bashed the Mets enough today, here’s a fun motivational gift for the Mets fan on your shopping list.
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 4
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)