Feb 4, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
“When [Carlos] Beltran had surgery, I thought I had a chance, and maybe they would give me a chance at center, but they get Matthews Jr., and now I’m not sure where I am.”
To be fair he followed that up by saying a lot of positive things about not giving up and working hard and everything, but if the prospect of a spring training competition with Gary Freakin’ Matthews gives him pause, he needs to take the Don’s advice.
Of course, it’s also possible that Martinez already knows he can outplay Matthews, but simply realizes that if the Mets are given a choice they’ll invariably make the wrong decision. In this case going with Matthews over Martinez regardless of how they each play.
Oh, and because I haven’t bashed the Mets enough today, here’s a fun motivational gift for the Mets fan on your shopping list.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (78)