Feb 4, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
“When [Carlos] Beltran had surgery, I thought I had a chance, and maybe they would give me a chance at center, but they get Matthews Jr., and now I’m not sure where I am.”
To be fair he followed that up by saying a lot of positive things about not giving up and working hard and everything, but if the prospect of a spring training competition with Gary Freakin’ Matthews gives him pause, he needs to take the Don’s advice.
Of course, it’s also possible that Martinez already knows he can outplay Matthews, but simply realizes that if the Mets are given a choice they’ll invariably make the wrong decision. In this case going with Matthews over Martinez regardless of how they each play.
Oh, and because I haven’t bashed the Mets enough today, here’s a fun motivational gift for the Mets fan on your shopping list.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)