Feb 4, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
“When [Carlos] Beltran had surgery, I thought I had a chance, and maybe they would give me a chance at center, but they get Matthews Jr., and now I’m not sure where I am.”
To be fair he followed that up by saying a lot of positive things about not giving up and working hard and everything, but if the prospect of a spring training competition with Gary Freakin’ Matthews gives him pause, he needs to take the Don’s advice.
Of course, it’s also possible that Martinez already knows he can outplay Matthews, but simply realizes that if the Mets are given a choice they’ll invariably make the wrong decision. In this case going with Matthews over Martinez regardless of how they each play.
Oh, and because I haven’t bashed the Mets enough today, here’s a fun motivational gift for the Mets fan on your shopping list.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)