FOX to air Saturday night games

Feb 4, 2010, 10:58 AM EST

But . . . but what excuse will I use to get out of mowing the lawn now?

For the first time in the network’s 15 years of broadcasting Major
League Baseball games, FOX has scheduled two nights of regular-season
games as part of its 2010 Saturday schedule, according to a news
release issued Wednesday by the network . . . Depending on the region of the country, fans will be able to watch
Interleague matchups of the Yankees-Mets, Red Sox-Phillies,
Cubs-Rangers or Tigers-Dodgers on May 22. On the June 26 schedule will
be Yankees-Dodgers, Red Sox-Giants or Cubs-White Sox.

I’m cool with this. For as much as we all like day baseball, these are bound to get better ratings than the afternoon broadcasts which have to compete with pools and shopping and yard work and all of that. And since the games will be starting at 7:30 or so it’s not like there will be much of an excuse for missing the end like often happens during the playoffs.

Now, if they’d just get rid of Joe Buck and McCarver, we’d really have something here.

1. Joe Tetreault - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM

McCarver and Buck will never go away. It’s the price we must pay for nationally televised baseball on a broadcast network. It’s in the Constitution, you know. You can look it up. :)

2. Morisseau - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM

so this means that people who pay for the MLB cable package will be completely blocked from games on those days. Brilliant.

3. Will - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Four of the seven games feature either the Yankees or the Red Sox. Goody.

4. Phil - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM

This is important in that it gives us fans a chance to see teams that are rarely on TV.

5. Megary - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:37 AM

At the risk of being stoned…
    I have to say that I’ve tried to not like Joe Buck, because so many say that I’m not supposed to like him, but I can’t bring myself to that conclusion. Frankly, he’s rather vanilla to me.
    McCarver, on the other hand, drives me crazy. I swear he writes all of his lines down beforehand, hoping to make them as clever as he wishes he were, and then tries to shoehorn them in somewhere during the broadcast, whether they are appropriate or not.

6. BC - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Bummer. This is really going to affect my “Storm Stories” viewership. Guess I need to get TiVo.

7. BC - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Joe Buck needs to be locked in a closet with a starved, rabid mountain lion.

8. Joe Laramie - Feb 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM

At least it’s not Joe Morgan, he never shuts up!

9. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Thanks for making me spit out my drink at work. +1 to you sir

10. The Common Man - Feb 4, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Here’s what I want to know: does this mean I’ll be able to watch Twins games on those afternoons? Or am I still going to be blocked because I live outside of Twins Territory?

11. Phil - Feb 4, 2010 at 2:18 PM

It’s been so long since we’ve seen some of those teams. I even understand the Yankees have numbers on the backs of their uniforms now.

12. salvo - Feb 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Yeah, fuck this. It’s bad enough that I’m blocked out of seeing a Saturday afternoon game that I want to see, but now I’ve got to be blocked out of two Saturday nights as well????
    I’m not paying MLB to block the games I want to watch!! (but I guess Fox is…)

13. Andy McSmith - Feb 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I think your blog is great. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Found it on Yahoo though. I love the suggestions and just trying to wrap my head around it, it’s mind boggling. Thanks

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4552)