Garciaparra looking to continue career

Feb 4, 2010, 7:15 PM EDT

Free agent Nomar Garciaparra, widely expected to retire after serving as a bench player for the A’s last year, told WEEI’s Lou Merloni that he’d like to continue his career in 2010.
Garciaparra, 36, weighed retirement last year before taking a $1.5 million deal from Oakland. He played in 65 games and hit .281/.314/.388 with three homers and 16 RBI in 160 at-bats. His last good season came in 2006, when he hit .303/.367/.505 in 122 games for the Dodgers.
It’s doubtful that Garciaparra will receive any guaranteed money at this point of his career. If he knows where he wants to play — likely somewhere close to his California home — he could find a minor league contract and a chance to compete for a bench spot. No one will take him seriously as a regular, though.

1. hop - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Maybe the redsuks can resign him, they are always looking for a shortstop every year and they like signing older players

2. yankeh8r - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM

hell no we dumped his play-off choking injury-prone ass. but dang we do go through shortstops!

3. soxfan44yr - Feb 4, 2010 at 10:10 PM

You must be a french fan with that we thing. The sox could us him andit would be great to see a guy finish with the team that he gave so much of his body to. Guess you never watched him play. As for choking you can blame duquette, bad pitching and bad owners.

4. DelawareSoxFan - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:05 AM

are you on crack yankeh8r?
    playoff avg OBP SLG OPS Games
    .321 .386 .589 .975 32
    Only the greatest Shortstop in the last 50 years to play for the Red Sox….

5. Gelardia - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Can’t he just DH for some team?

6. Sully - Feb 5, 2010 at 4:49 AM

NESN reported last night that Nomar was announcing his retirement. You would think that a shitty team like the A’s would have wanted to keep his bat in there even if just for DH’ing. End of career for an incredible talent.

7. Curious George - Feb 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Perfect suggestions, boys. Garciaparra *should* DH. Very well reasoned line of thinking. Oh, just one thing. He can’t actually hit any more.

8. BC - Feb 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM

He should just go home and crank out kids with Mia.

9. Theo Epstein - Feb 5, 2010 at 10:06 AM

See you later, you juicer!! What’s that, I’m blinding you with my World Series rings? Gee that’s too bad…

10. DOCTOR DOLLITTLE - Feb 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM

HE CAN CARRY JETER’S JOCK WHEN THE YANKEES WIN THE WORLD SERIES FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS. WE NEED BAG MEN TO HELP CARRY THE WORLD SERIES TROPHY AROUND THE U.S.

11. IonCrakUonCrakRWeAllonCrak? - Feb 6, 2010 at 3:58 AM

How in the world is it that some of you people can possibly know that other people who leave comments here are on crack? Hey, I’m putting this comment here, so don’t you dare accuse me of being on any crack because I just made bail on a DUI. Got it? NightTrain, Thunderbird, it’s all good, okay–but crack? Come on! Geez!
    …Now where was I? Oh! Yeah, Nomar can still play. DH, he can even DeeJay, it’s all good, okay–but retire? Man, what are you on? And, no way, he was not a passenger in the car…
    Peace–Out.

12. search engine optimisation - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Hi, good site. I look forward to your next topic. Thanks, Rebecca

13. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Hey very nice blog!!….I’m an instant fan, I have bookmarked you and I’ll be checking back on a regular….See ya

14. Mens Tungsten Rings - Feb 17, 2010 at 1:56 AM

First off, amazing site. Why do guys always say I’m gay when I wear rings. They just don’t get peacocking

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4979)