Feb 4, 2010, 8:04 PM EDT
11:30 p.m.: The Twins have announced the deal as official Thursday night, according to the Associated Press.
The Twins and Orlando Hudson are close to finalizing a one-year, $5 million contract, sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
The deal will make Hudson the Twins’ everyday second baseman and probable No. 2 hitter. Nick Punto could move back to third, potentially in a platoon with the right-handed-hitting Brendan Harris.
Hudson picked the Twins over the Nationals and Indians. With Felipe Lopez and Adam Kennedy still on the market, the teams looking for second basemen do have alternatives. Lopez to Cleveland would make a lot of sense now, though there have been rumors that he’d return to St. Louis.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)