Feb 4, 2010, 8:04 PM EDT
11:30 p.m.: The Twins have announced the deal as official Thursday night, according to the Associated Press.
The Twins and Orlando Hudson are close to finalizing a one-year, $5 million contract, sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
The deal will make Hudson the Twins’ everyday second baseman and probable No. 2 hitter. Nick Punto could move back to third, potentially in a platoon with the right-handed-hitting Brendan Harris.
Hudson picked the Twins over the Nationals and Indians. With Felipe Lopez and Adam Kennedy still on the market, the teams looking for second basemen do have alternatives. Lopez to Cleveland would make a lot of sense now, though there have been rumors that he’d return to St. Louis.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)