Feb 4, 2010, 8:04 PM EDT
11:30 p.m.: The Twins have announced the deal as official Thursday night, according to the Associated Press.
The Twins and Orlando Hudson are close to finalizing a one-year, $5 million contract, sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
The deal will make Hudson the Twins’ everyday second baseman and probable No. 2 hitter. Nick Punto could move back to third, potentially in a platoon with the right-handed-hitting Brendan Harris.
Hudson picked the Twins over the Nationals and Indians. With Felipe Lopez and Adam Kennedy still on the market, the teams looking for second basemen do have alternatives. Lopez to Cleveland would make a lot of sense now, though there have been rumors that he’d return to St. Louis.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)