Update: Twins announce deal with Orlando Hudson

Feb 4, 2010, 8:04 PM EDT

11:30 p.m.: The Twins have announced the deal as official Thursday night, according to the Associated Press.

The Twins and Orlando Hudson are close to finalizing a one-year, $5 million contract, sources told FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.

The deal will make Hudson the Twins’ everyday second baseman and probable No. 2 hitter. Nick Punto could move back to third, potentially in a platoon with the right-handed-hitting Brendan Harris.

Hudson picked the Twins over the Nationals and Indians. With Felipe Lopez and Adam Kennedy still on the market, the teams looking for second basemen do have alternatives. Lopez to Cleveland would make a lot of sense now, though there have been rumors that he’d return to St. Louis.

1. MC - Feb 4, 2010 at 8:19 PM

If you would have told me the Twins were going to add/sign O Hudson, JJ Hardy, Pavano and Thome this off season, I’d have been thrilled! Great offseason for the Twins. I think the Twins have enough pitching, just hoping their OF defense doesn’t let them down. That’s their only real concern of mine. And what I’ve read early is that the Twins park isn’t necesarily going to play homer friendly. That means a lot of fly balls/line-drives to track down.
    But for now, woo-hoo!

2. Wet Socks - Feb 4, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Pretty solid offseason but still waiting to hear on this whole Joe Mauer business.

3. MC - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM

The only player who can’t get hurt on this team is Denard… he get’s hurt, they don’t have any depth. Other than that, I like this squad.

4. Bill@TDS - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Um…okay, agree that Denard is important. But if Mauer gets hurt…Sal Butera’s kid? An injured Morales? I definitely wouldn’t say Span is the only (or even close to the most important) one…

5. Sal - Feb 4, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Actually, they have a guy in AA named Ben Revere who was the Twins minor league outfielder of the year – twice! This kid can flat out fly – 4.3 from home to first. Plus, look at what the Twins have produced over the years at center – Pucket, Hunter, Span, and now Ben Revere in the near future. This kid is going to be good.

6. Twunks - Feb 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM

AA is a long way from MLB…

7. MC - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I think Revere’s not likely to be pushed to the bigs… I like the idea of him being a potential candidate to replace DY if he falls flat on his face and it’s apparent they need Defensive help, but I don’t think his arm rates well for a CF. And that’s a move the Twins do not want to make. With Mauer, you have Ramos who’d get the bulk of the innings if he went down and I’d like to see what he could do.

8. MC - Feb 4, 2010 at 11:07 PM

So “only” may be a bit over the top… but my point is… I think it would be more difficult to patch something around a CF than a catcher for the team. Mauer is amazing but their OF defense is the sore point and if their only legit Defensive OF goes out, they’re going to be reaching.

9. Andrew - Feb 5, 2010 at 5:45 AM

I never thought I’d see the Twins payroll approach 100 million. Good for them!

10. Curious George - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:10 AM

“but their OF defense is the sore point and if their only legit Defensive OF goes out, they’re going to be reaching”
    If Span goes down, they can always snag a freely available Taveras-type. Yes, there’s quite quite a drop from Span to Taveras, but obviously not nearly the drop as from Mauer to a Yorvit Torrealba, say.

11. Bill fom Hastings - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Actually Class AA players are the ones ready to go to the majors.AAA players are either on the way down or not going to go anywhere above this level.

12. Moses Green - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM

OK, I’ve had enough of the Bizarro Twins. How about signing Craig Monroe to a minor league deal, just for old times?

13. search engine optimisation - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Hi, nice comment. I look forward to your next post. Thanks, Zoe

14. Trevor - Feb 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM

This is a damn good team now. If Hudson bats 2nd, wondering where J.J. Hardy will bat.
    Span
    Hudson
    Mauer
    Morneau
    Cuddyer
    Kubel
    Hardy (?)
    Young
    Punto/Harris

15. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I don’t usually reply to posts but I will in this case, great info…I will add a backlink and bookmark your site. Keep up the good work!

16. Wil - Apr 30, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I’ve played baseball and and I know what flying is in terms of running. Going to 1st base in 4.3 is not flying!

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey