Russ Branyan initially wanted at least $20 million

Feb 4, 2010, 12:48 PM EDT

ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick notes the reason Russell Branyan is now scrambling for work and likely to end up with a modest one-year deal is that he began the offseason looking for a three-year contract worth “somewhere between $20 million and $30 million.”
Adam LaRoche had a similarly inflated initial asking price, but was still able to land a one-year, $5 million deal from the Diamondbacks once his demands came back down to earth. Branyan isn’t going to be as lucky because teams remain scared of his huge strikeout totals and skeptical that he’s an everyday player, so he’s plummeted past the $5 million mark and seems likely to end up with at most $2 million for a part-time role.
Branyan was never going to get a three-year deal or anywhere close to $20 million, but prior to trading for Casey Kotchman the Mariners offered him a one-year deal with the promise of a starting job that will probably dwarf whatever he ends up accepting. The lesson in all of this? Don’t be greedy when you’re a strikeout prone 34-year-old with back problems coming off a career-year and the one team that gave you a chance to thrive offers you a solid one-year deal to return.

1. BC - Feb 4, 2010 at 1:39 PM

$10 million a year? What, is he high?
    I can definitely play 1/50th as well as him. I’m going to go ask my boss for $200,000 a year.

2. Cru11 - Feb 4, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I laughed out loud after reading the headline. Get off the crackpipe, Russ.

3. Joey B - Feb 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I’d love to hear the conversation between him and his agent.
    You know last year was the first time I ever had > 400 ABs.
    No Problem. That means you’re well-rested.
    You know I didn’t hit a lick after June?
    De nada. That just means that you’re due for a hot streak.
    You know I just turned 34?
    That means you’re experienced.
    How many tams actually need a 1B that don’t already have a replacement level player available? Folks excoriated Moore for trading for Jacobs last year, and he was on a one-year $3M contract. $20M? 3 years?

4. Female Abs - Feb 18, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Considerably, the post is in reality the best on this laudable topic. I fit in with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your incoming updates. Just saying thanks will not just be enough, for the wonderful lucidity in your writing. I will immediately grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Pleasant work and much success in your business enterprise!

5. Truth about Abs - Mar 8, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Thanks, that was helpful for people like me who are about to take the plunge into getting fit and healthy!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3336)