Test your baseball Jeopardy! skills

Feb 4, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT

Alex Trebek.jpgI tried out for Jeopardy! when I was in law school.  I passed the quiz
and got to play the little pretend Jeopardy! game with the real buzzers
and everything and was put in the contestant pool. Sadly — and unlike my former boss and unlike long time CTB reader Sara K — I never got the call. I suspect they found me to be too annoyingly clicky with the buzzer during the audition. The jerks.

In light of that experience, Jeopardy! has always been something of a sore spot for me. I’m a trivia fiend, and every time I set aside my grudge and watch the show I run the freakin’ board. In light of this, I was drawn to ‘Duk’s latest post over at Big League Stew, in which he searched the Jeopardy! archives for all Final Jeopardy answers that had to do with baseball. He reproduces them for us in the post, with the questions at the bottom.

While it was mostly a fun time waster, he really did it in order to figure out if his gut instinct — to bet all the money he had, regardless of the strategy involved if the category was baseball — was the correct one:

“Let’s say you’re on Jeopardy and you’re absolutely routing your two
opponents. You have $40,000 going into the final round, while one of
your opponents has, let’s say, $15,000. You’re guaranteed to move onto
the next day, but the final category comes up and it has something to
do with baseball, which is your favorite sport. How much — if anything
– do you risk?”

Despite my considerable Jeopardy-fu, I’ll admit that my answer to that question was to play it conservative. But then I read the ten answers he found and got all ten right before the thinking music in my head stopped.  Since they’re not that hard, I’d have to change my strategy and wager it all.

How about you?  And don’t cheat.  And when you’re done, follow ‘Duk’s link to all of the baseball-related Jeopardy! answers going back to 1984.  Or better yet, save them until Sunday so you’ll have something to do while the rest of this demented country watches five hours of commercials and claims that it’s the greatest sporting event in the world.

1. Pimpin' Pete - Feb 4, 2010 at 6:08 PM

8 out of 10, missed 1 and 5. Not bad… pretty simple.

2. Chipmaker - Feb 4, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Ten for ten, and he’s right, they use names even my mom would know, though she’d be guessing “Who was Mickey Mantle?” anyway.
    Tough call — it’s easy to sit here and think, Sure, I’d wager the whole biscuit, and the chance to play Cliff in real life is worthy on its own merits, but I do think that I’d play it safe and come back tomorrow for certain.

3. Chipmaker - Feb 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM

4. Matt - Feb 4, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I was on Jeopardy, a few years ago. If you think its been a sore spot for you… well, I led going into the first commercial break, and was in second place during Double Jeopardy when I hit the Daily Double. The category was Da Vinci, and I bet enough to take the lead.
    Of course, I missed the question, and when I guessed on the next question in a vain attempt to make something back, I was done. The girl who won had both me and the other guy doubled up going into Final Jeopardy. We both got it right, and even though she missed it, she won.
    No baseball questions on my board.

5. velvetglove99 - Feb 4, 2010 at 7:12 PM

No Super Bowl for you, Craig?

6. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Doubtful. I just sort of lost pro football a few years ago and now it doesn’t interest me a bit. If it’s on in my house it will be as background noise.

7. Daniel - Feb 4, 2010 at 8:13 PM

9 out of 10. Missed question 5. For whatever reason, the only team I could come up with was the A’s, even though I knew they didn’t win anything in Kansas City.
    I’ve always wanted to do the Jeopardy thing as well, but I don’t have nearly the breadth of knowledge. I’m great in some key areas, but I have large holes in my trivia knowledge that, if those subjects were to come up, would hose me.

8. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 4, 2010 at 8:46 PM

I would have taken more than 30 seconds to get #3, otherwise I’d be 10 for 10.
    In that situation, I don’t care how well I know baseball, I’m betting $9,999, so that even if I miss it and the second-place person gets it, I win by a dollar. There’s no glory in second place, especially in Jeopardy.
    I’ve never even tried out for the show, even though many of my friends say I should do it, but I don’t think I have the necessary knowledge of contemporary crap culture to do well. I know a Tournament of Champions winner, though, and we’ve fought many a barroom trivia duel. I’ve even won a lot of them.

9. Rays fan - Feb 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM

“I would have taken more than 30 seconds to get #3, otherwise I’d be 10 for 10.
    In that situation, I don’t care how well I know baseball, I’m betting $9,999, so that even if I miss it and the second-place person gets it, I win by a dollar.”
    Ditto.

10. Dave - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:01 AM

I think that’s possibly the best and most accurate description of the Super Bowl I’ve come across.
    Don’t worry, there’s always the Puppy Bowl.

11. Charles Gates - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Football, for me, is an excuse to be social with friends. Sometimes you need to provide a reason for your friends to get away from the wives. It’s not like I really care about the game, it’s a ‘sanctioned’ reason to drink beerskis and eat wings instead of folding laundry.

12. Grant - Feb 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I missed 1 and 3. Oh well.

I would always play it safe in this situation, regardless of category.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet