Feb 4, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
That’s not just some jerky Braves fan saying that, according to Murray Chass, the people that try to deal with them are saying it:
But more than one agent cited the Mets’ inability to deal with more
than one free agent at a time as the primary reason they lost out on
free agents. “We’re interested in your guy,” more than one agent
recalled the Mets saying, “but we have to deal with this other guy
In one instance, the Mets were a player’s first choice, an agent
said, but he was one or two down on the Mets’ pecking order – a phrase
used by another agent – and the player and the agent weren’t going to
wait for the Mets to deal with them. They went elsewhere.
Another agent said that Omar Minaya, the Mets’ general manager, told
him at the winter meetings in December that the Mets would address
their catching need in January. “How can they wait and be sure what
will be there?” the agent asked.
All of this squares with Ken Rosenthal’s report from last week that the team hasn’t approached the offseason with a coherent plan. Indeed, Rosenthal suggested that everything is being micromanaged by Jeff Wilpon and that Omar is being bypassed. Chass notes that none of the agents he spoke to negotiated directly with Wilpon, but even if he’s not handling the actual negotiations doesn’t mean that he’s not running the show. Indeed, the worst micromanagers I’ve ever dealt with came up with the stupid plans themselves but made me carry them out so that they wouldn’t take the heat.
But regardless of who’s calling the shots here, it seems pretty clear that the Mets’ basic approach is totally screwed up. Too linear. It’s like Khan getting pwned by Kirk in the final battle because he thinks of space in two-dimensional terms. And Omar and the Wilpons don’t even have a Genesis Device they can activate to at least make their competitor’s victory a costly one.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)