Feb 4, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
That’s not just some jerky Braves fan saying that, according to Murray Chass, the people that try to deal with them are saying it:
But more than one agent cited the Mets’ inability to deal with more
than one free agent at a time as the primary reason they lost out on
free agents. “We’re interested in your guy,” more than one agent
recalled the Mets saying, “but we have to deal with this other guy
In one instance, the Mets were a player’s first choice, an agent
said, but he was one or two down on the Mets’ pecking order – a phrase
used by another agent – and the player and the agent weren’t going to
wait for the Mets to deal with them. They went elsewhere.
Another agent said that Omar Minaya, the Mets’ general manager, told
him at the winter meetings in December that the Mets would address
their catching need in January. “How can they wait and be sure what
will be there?” the agent asked.
All of this squares with Ken Rosenthal’s report from last week that the team hasn’t approached the offseason with a coherent plan. Indeed, Rosenthal suggested that everything is being micromanaged by Jeff Wilpon and that Omar is being bypassed. Chass notes that none of the agents he spoke to negotiated directly with Wilpon, but even if he’s not handling the actual negotiations doesn’t mean that he’s not running the show. Indeed, the worst micromanagers I’ve ever dealt with came up with the stupid plans themselves but made me carry them out so that they wouldn’t take the heat.
But regardless of who’s calling the shots here, it seems pretty clear that the Mets’ basic approach is totally screwed up. Too linear. It’s like Khan getting pwned by Kirk in the final battle because he thinks of space in two-dimensional terms. And Omar and the Wilpons don’t even have a Genesis Device they can activate to at least make their competitor’s victory a costly one.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)