Feb 4, 2010, 9:28 AM EST
That’s not just some jerky Braves fan saying that, according to Murray Chass, the people that try to deal with them are saying it:
But more than one agent cited the Mets’ inability to deal with more
than one free agent at a time as the primary reason they lost out on
free agents. “We’re interested in your guy,” more than one agent
recalled the Mets saying, “but we have to deal with this other guy
In one instance, the Mets were a player’s first choice, an agent
said, but he was one or two down on the Mets’ pecking order – a phrase
used by another agent – and the player and the agent weren’t going to
wait for the Mets to deal with them. They went elsewhere.
Another agent said that Omar Minaya, the Mets’ general manager, told
him at the winter meetings in December that the Mets would address
their catching need in January. “How can they wait and be sure what
will be there?” the agent asked.
All of this squares with Ken Rosenthal’s report from last week that the team hasn’t approached the offseason with a coherent plan. Indeed, Rosenthal suggested that everything is being micromanaged by Jeff Wilpon and that Omar is being bypassed. Chass notes that none of the agents he spoke to negotiated directly with Wilpon, but even if he’s not handling the actual negotiations doesn’t mean that he’s not running the show. Indeed, the worst micromanagers I’ve ever dealt with came up with the stupid plans themselves but made me carry them out so that they wouldn’t take the heat.
But regardless of who’s calling the shots here, it seems pretty clear that the Mets’ basic approach is totally screwed up. Too linear. It’s like Khan getting pwned by Kirk in the final battle because he thinks of space in two-dimensional terms. And Omar and the Wilpons don’t even have a Genesis Device they can activate to at least make their competitor’s victory a costly one.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 248
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)