Feb 4, 2010, 8:58 AM EST
So, how are those pre-arbitration negotiations goin’, fellas?
To say the recent discussions between the Giants and Thurman [Lincecum’s agent], who
exchanged arbitration numbers featuring the largest gap in the history
of the process, have not gone well is an understatement.
According to several sources, what’s been going on between the
Giants and Lincecum/Thurman shouldn’t really be characterized as
discussions at all.
“Dismissals” would be more accurate — as in the Lincecum camp
promptly dismissing every variation of the Giants’ proposed two-year
And with each perceived insult of an offer, Lincecum is said to
think less and less of the team he’s almost single-handedly put back on
Oh dear. And this on the same day that Justin Verlander signed a high eight-figure deal. To be sure, not everyone is as worried as Comcast’s Mychael Urban is. MLB.com’s Chris Haft talks to a bunch of agents who think that the parties will settle before arbitration.
The problem to me, though, is that Haft’s sources are all talking about them settling on a one year deal as opposed to something long term. Doing it that way means that everyone will be back here this time next year, and in the long run, that will probably cost the Giants a hell of a lot more money than trying to lock him up now.
And the Giants do want to keep Lincecum long-term, right? I mean, is there any other option here?
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 5
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (78)