Feb 4, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
So, how are those pre-arbitration negotiations goin’, fellas?
To say the recent discussions between the Giants and Thurman [Lincecum's agent], who
exchanged arbitration numbers featuring the largest gap in the history
of the process, have not gone well is an understatement.
According to several sources, what’s been going on between the
Giants and Lincecum/Thurman shouldn’t really be characterized as
discussions at all.
“Dismissals” would be more accurate — as in the Lincecum camp
promptly dismissing every variation of the Giants’ proposed two-year
And with each perceived insult of an offer, Lincecum is said to
think less and less of the team he’s almost single-handedly put back on
Oh dear. And this on the same day that Justin Verlander signed a high eight-figure deal. To be sure, not everyone is as worried as Comcast’s Mychael Urban is. MLB.com’s Chris Haft talks to a bunch of agents who think that the parties will settle before arbitration.
The problem to me, though, is that Haft’s sources are all talking about them settling on a one year deal as opposed to something long term. Doing it that way means that everyone will be back here this time next year, and in the long run, that will probably cost the Giants a hell of a lot more money than trying to lock him up now.
And the Giants do want to keep Lincecum long-term, right? I mean, is there any other option here?
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 1
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 28
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)