Feb 4, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
So, how are those pre-arbitration negotiations goin’, fellas?
To say the recent discussions between the Giants and Thurman [Lincecum's agent], who
exchanged arbitration numbers featuring the largest gap in the history
of the process, have not gone well is an understatement.
According to several sources, what’s been going on between the
Giants and Lincecum/Thurman shouldn’t really be characterized as
discussions at all.
“Dismissals” would be more accurate — as in the Lincecum camp
promptly dismissing every variation of the Giants’ proposed two-year
And with each perceived insult of an offer, Lincecum is said to
think less and less of the team he’s almost single-handedly put back on
Oh dear. And this on the same day that Justin Verlander signed a high eight-figure deal. To be sure, not everyone is as worried as Comcast’s Mychael Urban is. MLB.com’s Chris Haft talks to a bunch of agents who think that the parties will settle before arbitration.
The problem to me, though, is that Haft’s sources are all talking about them settling on a one year deal as opposed to something long term. Doing it that way means that everyone will be back here this time next year, and in the long run, that will probably cost the Giants a hell of a lot more money than trying to lock him up now.
And the Giants do want to keep Lincecum long-term, right? I mean, is there any other option here?
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)