Feb 4, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
So, how are those pre-arbitration negotiations goin’, fellas?
To say the recent discussions between the Giants and Thurman [Lincecum’s agent], who
exchanged arbitration numbers featuring the largest gap in the history
of the process, have not gone well is an understatement.
According to several sources, what’s been going on between the
Giants and Lincecum/Thurman shouldn’t really be characterized as
discussions at all.
“Dismissals” would be more accurate — as in the Lincecum camp
promptly dismissing every variation of the Giants’ proposed two-year
And with each perceived insult of an offer, Lincecum is said to
think less and less of the team he’s almost single-handedly put back on
Oh dear. And this on the same day that Justin Verlander signed a high eight-figure deal. To be sure, not everyone is as worried as Comcast’s Mychael Urban is. MLB.com’s Chris Haft talks to a bunch of agents who think that the parties will settle before arbitration.
The problem to me, though, is that Haft’s sources are all talking about them settling on a one year deal as opposed to something long term. Doing it that way means that everyone will be back here this time next year, and in the long run, that will probably cost the Giants a hell of a lot more money than trying to lock him up now.
And the Giants do want to keep Lincecum long-term, right? I mean, is there any other option here?
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 0
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)