Feb 4, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
So, how are those pre-arbitration negotiations goin’, fellas?
To say the recent discussions between the Giants and Thurman [Lincecum's agent], who
exchanged arbitration numbers featuring the largest gap in the history
of the process, have not gone well is an understatement.
According to several sources, what’s been going on between the
Giants and Lincecum/Thurman shouldn’t really be characterized as
discussions at all.
“Dismissals” would be more accurate — as in the Lincecum camp
promptly dismissing every variation of the Giants’ proposed two-year
And with each perceived insult of an offer, Lincecum is said to
think less and less of the team he’s almost single-handedly put back on
Oh dear. And this on the same day that Justin Verlander signed a high eight-figure deal. To be sure, not everyone is as worried as Comcast’s Mychael Urban is. MLB.com’s Chris Haft talks to a bunch of agents who think that the parties will settle before arbitration.
The problem to me, though, is that Haft’s sources are all talking about them settling on a one year deal as opposed to something long term. Doing it that way means that everyone will be back here this time next year, and in the long run, that will probably cost the Giants a hell of a lot more money than trying to lock him up now.
And the Giants do want to keep Lincecum long-term, right? I mean, is there any other option here?
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL