Feb 5, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Last week the San Francisco Chronicle’s Bruce Jenkins tried to imagine Buster Posey pulling a Craig Biggio in order to save his knees or to keep busy or to allow Bengie Molina to remain the Giants’ catcher until his sons can succeed him or something. Today we hear from Andrew Baggarly that the notion may not merely be the stuff of Bruce Jenkins’ fantasies:
Buster Posey isn’t “etched in stone” to begin the season at Triple-A
Fresno, Giants Manager Bruce Bochy said. In fact, Bochy dropped a minor
bombshell: He and GM Brian Sabean have talked about giving Posey a look
at other infield positions, including shortstop, to increase the
options available for the rookie and the club . . . Long term, Bochy said the organization still sees Posey as a catcher.
But he’d be available for double-switches, etc., if he can play a few
Shortstop? Hey, why not? Like I said last week, neat idea. As someone who has no vested interest in how the Giants do or how Buster Posey develops, I’d love to see it because it’s different and different is good, and the more Posey the better.
Still, the guy is a plus defensive catcher who can hit and those guys don’t just fall out of the sky like rain and airplane engine parts, so it may not be the best move in terms of optimal asset utilization.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)