Feb 5, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Last week the San Francisco Chronicle’s Bruce Jenkins tried to imagine Buster Posey pulling a Craig Biggio in order to save his knees or to keep busy or to allow Bengie Molina to remain the Giants’ catcher until his sons can succeed him or something. Today we hear from Andrew Baggarly that the notion may not merely be the stuff of Bruce Jenkins’ fantasies:
Buster Posey isn’t “etched in stone” to begin the season at Triple-A
Fresno, Giants Manager Bruce Bochy said. In fact, Bochy dropped a minor
bombshell: He and GM Brian Sabean have talked about giving Posey a look
at other infield positions, including shortstop, to increase the
options available for the rookie and the club . . . Long term, Bochy said the organization still sees Posey as a catcher.
But he’d be available for double-switches, etc., if he can play a few
Shortstop? Hey, why not? Like I said last week, neat idea. As someone who has no vested interest in how the Giants do or how Buster Posey develops, I’d love to see it because it’s different and different is good, and the more Posey the better.
Still, the guy is a plus defensive catcher who can hit and those guys don’t just fall out of the sky like rain and airplane engine parts, so it may not be the best move in terms of optimal asset utilization.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)