Feb 5, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Last week the San Francisco Chronicle’s Bruce Jenkins tried to imagine Buster Posey pulling a Craig Biggio in order to save his knees or to keep busy or to allow Bengie Molina to remain the Giants’ catcher until his sons can succeed him or something. Today we hear from Andrew Baggarly that the notion may not merely be the stuff of Bruce Jenkins’ fantasies:
Buster Posey isn’t “etched in stone” to begin the season at Triple-A
Fresno, Giants Manager Bruce Bochy said. In fact, Bochy dropped a minor
bombshell: He and GM Brian Sabean have talked about giving Posey a look
at other infield positions, including shortstop, to increase the
options available for the rookie and the club . . . Long term, Bochy said the organization still sees Posey as a catcher.
But he’d be available for double-switches, etc., if he can play a few
Shortstop? Hey, why not? Like I said last week, neat idea. As someone who has no vested interest in how the Giants do or how Buster Posey develops, I’d love to see it because it’s different and different is good, and the more Posey the better.
Still, the guy is a plus defensive catcher who can hit and those guys don’t just fall out of the sky like rain and airplane engine parts, so it may not be the best move in terms of optimal asset utilization.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)