Feb 5, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Last week the San Francisco Chronicle’s Bruce Jenkins tried to imagine Buster Posey pulling a Craig Biggio in order to save his knees or to keep busy or to allow Bengie Molina to remain the Giants’ catcher until his sons can succeed him or something. Today we hear from Andrew Baggarly that the notion may not merely be the stuff of Bruce Jenkins’ fantasies:
Buster Posey isn’t “etched in stone” to begin the season at Triple-A
Fresno, Giants Manager Bruce Bochy said. In fact, Bochy dropped a minor
bombshell: He and GM Brian Sabean have talked about giving Posey a look
at other infield positions, including shortstop, to increase the
options available for the rookie and the club . . . Long term, Bochy said the organization still sees Posey as a catcher.
But he’d be available for double-switches, etc., if he can play a few
Shortstop? Hey, why not? Like I said last week, neat idea. As someone who has no vested interest in how the Giants do or how Buster Posey develops, I’d love to see it because it’s different and different is good, and the more Posey the better.
Still, the guy is a plus defensive catcher who can hit and those guys don’t just fall out of the sky like rain and airplane engine parts, so it may not be the best move in terms of optimal asset utilization.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)