Carlos Zambrano is in the best shape of his life

Feb 5, 2010, 11:20 AM EST

Carlos Zambrano has lost some weight and has already been in Arizona a week getting ready for the season despite the fact that pitchers and catchers don’t report until Februay 17th.  Lou likes it:

“Carlos was a little heavy last year, there’s no question,” manager  Lou Piniella told fans at the Cubs Convention. “He’s another player (besides  Geovany Soto) we had a nice conversation with toward the end of the year . . . He looks absolutely wonderful, and I think you’ll see a heck of a better performance from him just because of that,” Piniella said.

Zambrano has always been one of those guys who always looks kind of gassed out there, even when he was pitching really well.  I like him — as I’ve written before, he reminds me of a 1960s pitcher in a lot of ways, and 1960s pitchers were awesome — so I hope the loss of a few pounds will help him bounce back.

1. Fast Eddy - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I will predict that Carlos will be outstanding in the first two months of the season. I don’t think losing weight (a good thing) will make any difference in the strength of his arm. I feel that he has underlying arm problems which usually show up in July or August at the latest. Isn’t it strange that almost every year, there is talk about winning the Cy, but by September that is all over for Carlos.

2. Richard Dansky - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:40 AM

The problem with all these guys who lose all this weight over the winter is that they usually find it again by about June 15th.

3. YankeesfanLen - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM

That very efficient of you Craig- does the tag “the best shape of his life” have 50 folders yet?
    Thank God there’s only 12 days left that we have to muddle through.

4. edd - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM

How’s his cabeza?

5. Dan - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:47 AM

The thing I like about this is that Zambrano isn’t a free agent after this season. Maybe he really is serious about rededicating himself. The one thing I can’t stand with athletes is if they are out of shape. Just doesn’t make any sense to me why they would allow that to happen. I’m hoping that Carlos has a good season and it rubs off on other players.

6. Ed-dough - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Controlling his weight is important, but controlling his temper when things aren’t going his way is even more important. I’d like for Carlos to have a huge year because no one, I repeat no one in baseball wants to win more than Carlos Zambrano. Some are just more successful at it up to this point.

7. carlos - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Big-Z and Silva, man the cubs are gonna have one hefty rotation.

8. Jonny5 - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM

That’s great!! He can beat the piss out of a couple of Gatorade coolers a night now!! Woo Hoo! Go Big Z. A sad Gatorade cooler in Chicago is whimpering right now…..

9. wrinkle removal - Feb 23, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Your web site loads in ordinary code only.

10. deep wrinkle treatment - Feb 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Is it probable for us to stick to you actually at Ping.fm?

11. Tad - Feb 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM

How you doing?. Thought I should let you know, I appreciate your articles, the fact that your info is a touch different makes it a cut above. To be honest I get fed up of looking at duplicates all of the time. I just bkmrkd this page for you :) Great work.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4527)