Feb 5, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
Carlos Zambrano has lost some weight and has already been in Arizona a week getting ready for the season despite the fact that pitchers and catchers don’t report until Februay 17th. Lou likes it:
“Carlos was a little heavy last year, there’s no question,” manager Lou Piniella told fans at the Cubs Convention. “He’s another player (besides Geovany Soto) we had a nice conversation with toward the end of the year . . . He looks absolutely wonderful, and I think you’ll see a heck of a better performance from him just because of that,” Piniella said.
Zambrano has always been one of those guys who always looks kind of gassed out there, even when he was pitching really well. I like him — as I’ve written before, he reminds me of a 1960s pitcher in a lot of ways, and 1960s pitchers were awesome — so I hope the loss of a few pounds will help him bounce back.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (75)