Feb 5, 2010, 1:21 PM EST
The Nashville Scene has a nice catching-up-with-the-former-BMOC article about Rays’ pitcher David Price up today. Pretty standard stuff except for the opening anecdote:
“Last year when we were in Philadelphia, a teammate and I were going
to Ruth’s Chris and two guys ran after our cab for about three miles,”
Price says. “Then one of the guys tried to sit with us at our table.
The manager came up and asked, ‘Are you expecting a third to your
party?’ I was like, ‘No.’ He said, ‘I didn’t think so.’ When he went
back up there the guy had already run out the door.
“He was in black sweatpants and a black hoodie and he just wanted to get my autograph. … That was a little weird.”
I would bet my life that it was some baseball card or autograph dealer. Those guys totally weird me out. I used to regularly stay at the same Cleveland hotel where visiting players would stay when they played the Indians. The normal fans, the kids and the groupies were all actually pretty respectful. They’d hang around, sure, but they usually wouldn’t go after guys or invade the ballplayers’ space.
The dealers, though, were nuts. And you knew they were dealers because they would be giving their business cards out to everyone while they waited for Ryan Freel or whoever to emerge from an elevator. And even if they didn’t have the cards they all looked like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, so it was pretty obvious.
Stalking David Price. What has this world come to?
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (138)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)