Feb 5, 2010, 1:21 PM EDT
The Nashville Scene has a nice catching-up-with-the-former-BMOC article about Rays’ pitcher David Price up today. Pretty standard stuff except for the opening anecdote:
“Last year when we were in Philadelphia, a teammate and I were going
to Ruth’s Chris and two guys ran after our cab for about three miles,”
Price says. “Then one of the guys tried to sit with us at our table.
The manager came up and asked, ‘Are you expecting a third to your
party?’ I was like, ‘No.’ He said, ‘I didn’t think so.’ When he went
back up there the guy had already run out the door.
“He was in black sweatpants and a black hoodie and he just wanted to get my autograph. … That was a little weird.”
I would bet my life that it was some baseball card or autograph dealer. Those guys totally weird me out. I used to regularly stay at the same Cleveland hotel where visiting players would stay when they played the Indians. The normal fans, the kids and the groupies were all actually pretty respectful. They’d hang around, sure, but they usually wouldn’t go after guys or invade the ballplayers’ space.
The dealers, though, were nuts. And you knew they were dealers because they would be giving their business cards out to everyone while they waited for Ryan Freel or whoever to emerge from an elevator. And even if they didn’t have the cards they all looked like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, so it was pretty obvious.
Stalking David Price. What has this world come to?
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)