Feb 5, 2010, 1:21 PM EDT
The Nashville Scene has a nice catching-up-with-the-former-BMOC article about Rays’ pitcher David Price up today. Pretty standard stuff except for the opening anecdote:
“Last year when we were in Philadelphia, a teammate and I were going
to Ruth’s Chris and two guys ran after our cab for about three miles,”
Price says. “Then one of the guys tried to sit with us at our table.
The manager came up and asked, ‘Are you expecting a third to your
party?’ I was like, ‘No.’ He said, ‘I didn’t think so.’ When he went
back up there the guy had already run out the door.
“He was in black sweatpants and a black hoodie and he just wanted to get my autograph. … That was a little weird.”
I would bet my life that it was some baseball card or autograph dealer. Those guys totally weird me out. I used to regularly stay at the same Cleveland hotel where visiting players would stay when they played the Indians. The normal fans, the kids and the groupies were all actually pretty respectful. They’d hang around, sure, but they usually wouldn’t go after guys or invade the ballplayers’ space.
The dealers, though, were nuts. And you knew they were dealers because they would be giving their business cards out to everyone while they waited for Ryan Freel or whoever to emerge from an elevator. And even if they didn’t have the cards they all looked like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, so it was pretty obvious.
Stalking David Price. What has this world come to?
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)