Feb 5, 2010, 1:21 PM EDT
The Nashville Scene has a nice catching-up-with-the-former-BMOC article about Rays’ pitcher David Price up today. Pretty standard stuff except for the opening anecdote:
“Last year when we were in Philadelphia, a teammate and I were going
to Ruth’s Chris and two guys ran after our cab for about three miles,”
Price says. “Then one of the guys tried to sit with us at our table.
The manager came up and asked, ‘Are you expecting a third to your
party?’ I was like, ‘No.’ He said, ‘I didn’t think so.’ When he went
back up there the guy had already run out the door.
“He was in black sweatpants and a black hoodie and he just wanted to get my autograph. … That was a little weird.”
I would bet my life that it was some baseball card or autograph dealer. Those guys totally weird me out. I used to regularly stay at the same Cleveland hotel where visiting players would stay when they played the Indians. The normal fans, the kids and the groupies were all actually pretty respectful. They’d hang around, sure, but they usually wouldn’t go after guys or invade the ballplayers’ space.
The dealers, though, were nuts. And you knew they were dealers because they would be giving their business cards out to everyone while they waited for Ryan Freel or whoever to emerge from an elevator. And even if they didn’t have the cards they all looked like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, so it was pretty obvious.
Stalking David Price. What has this world come to?
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 17
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 94
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 102
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 81
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 96
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)