Feb 5, 2010, 10:55 AM EST
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are talking to third baseman Mark Reynolds about a three-year extension that would buy out two of his three arbitration years. There are no hard numbers attached to the negotiations, but Piecoro does some back-of-the-envelope calculations which, reasonably in my mind, suggests that a three-year, $15 million deal may be in order.
Reynolds would be wise to get something for himself now. He’s a great player, but he’s old for a guy who still hasn’t reached arbitration — he turns 27 this season — so he’s never going to have a chance at a shoot-the-moon free agency. And even if he does make it out to the market in good shape one day, there are still a ton of teams who will be scared off by his strikeouts, thus making for a more limited market than his considerable skills might ordinarily dictate.
So take the money, continue raking, and then angle yourself for one big arbitration year, Mark, because there aren’t many guarantees for a guy over 30 who strikes out 200 times a year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)