Feb 5, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are talking to third baseman Mark Reynolds about a three-year extension that would buy out two of his three arbitration years. There are no hard numbers attached to the negotiations, but Piecoro does some back-of-the-envelope calculations which, reasonably in my mind, suggests that a three-year, $15 million deal may be in order.
Reynolds would be wise to get something for himself now. He’s a great player, but he’s old for a guy who still hasn’t reached arbitration — he turns 27 this season — so he’s never going to have a chance at a shoot-the-moon free agency. And even if he does make it out to the market in good shape one day, there are still a ton of teams who will be scared off by his strikeouts, thus making for a more limited market than his considerable skills might ordinarily dictate.
So take the money, continue raking, and then angle yourself for one big arbitration year, Mark, because there aren’t many guarantees for a guy over 30 who strikes out 200 times a year.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 42
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 46
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)