Feb 5, 2010, 10:55 AM EST
Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are talking to third baseman Mark Reynolds about a three-year extension that would buy out two of his three arbitration years. There are no hard numbers attached to the negotiations, but Piecoro does some back-of-the-envelope calculations which, reasonably in my mind, suggests that a three-year, $15 million deal may be in order.
Reynolds would be wise to get something for himself now. He’s a great player, but he’s old for a guy who still hasn’t reached arbitration — he turns 27 this season — so he’s never going to have a chance at a shoot-the-moon free agency. And even if he does make it out to the market in good shape one day, there are still a ton of teams who will be scared off by his strikeouts, thus making for a more limited market than his considerable skills might ordinarily dictate.
So take the money, continue raking, and then angle yourself for one big arbitration year, Mark, because there aren’t many guarantees for a guy over 30 who strikes out 200 times a year.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)