Feb 5, 2010, 9:00 AM EST
All of the Yankees brass is in the far east on a goodwill tour, leaving Hank Steinbrenner back home to mind the store. A reporter caught up with him, no doubt hoping that with his minders away Hank would revert to 2008 form and bring the crazy. Take it away Hankenstein!
“The two trades that Brian did, I was really pleased with and very proud of,” Steinbrenner said. “I think that is going to make a big difference for us.”
Steinbrenner was particularly supportive of the deal for Vazquez, in which the Yankees gave up Melky Cabrera and minor league pitchers Mike Dunn and Arodys Vizcaino. The general partner and co-chairman of the Yankees believes that the acquisition of Vazquez was more critical toward defending their championship than not bringing back Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui.
“We needed another top-notch starter and got one,” said Steinbrenner.
He also said that Derek Jeter is a good baseball player and is important to the Yankees and everything. He probably also said that the sky was blue, water is wet and cornbread is tasty.
In other words, it appears as though Hal left his brother with enough medication to last until he returns. A shame, really. I miss the old Hank.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (162)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (146)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)