Hey look, a Hank Steinbrenner sighting

Feb 5, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT

Hank Steinbrenner.jpgAll of the Yankees brass is in the far east on a goodwill tour, leaving Hank Steinbrenner back home to mind the store.  A reporter caught up with him, no doubt hoping that with his minders away Hank would revert to 2008 form and bring the crazy.  Take it away Hankenstein!

“The two trades that Brian did, I was really pleased with and very proud of,” Steinbrenner said. “I think that is going to make a big difference for us.”

Steinbrenner was particularly supportive of the deal for Vazquez, in which the Yankees gave up Melky Cabrera and minor league pitchers Mike Dunn and Arodys Vizcaino. The general partner and co-chairman of the Yankees believes that the acquisition of Vazquez was more critical toward defending their championship than not bringing back Johnny Damon or Hideki Matsui.

“We needed another top-notch starter and got one,” said Steinbrenner.

He also said that Derek Jeter is a good baseball player and is important to the Yankees and everything. He probably also said that the sky was blue, water is wet and cornbread is tasty.

In other words, it appears as though Hal left his brother with enough medication to last until he returns. A shame, really. I miss the old Hank.

1. Curious George - Feb 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I had to turn off my web browser’s douche filter to see the photos of Steinbrenner and Phillips. I think I’ll turn it back on now.

2. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I’m confused, Craig. You wrote that a reporter caught up to him, but the link goes to the N.Y. Daily News…

3. YankeesfanLen - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Good management style- “Hey Joe (either one) you couldn’t coach Cardinal Cushing’s JV team, all I want is another ring!”

4. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I’ll take a Steinbrenner any day over a penny pinchin owner who gives himself a BIG bonus for fielding a team the loses 100 games
    a year.I will leave out the name of YOUR team, you know who you are,
    smelling Yankee butt because you are always behind them.
    BuH ByE

5. Curious George - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:48 PM

“I’ll take a Steinbrenner any day over a penny pinchin owner who gives himself a BIG bonus”
    If you are an owner, why do you have to give yourself a bonus? The money is already yours.

6. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Oh really, the hell with accounting and the tax law, just stuff money in your pocket from a pail everytime you walk by, nice way to run a business.What team do you root for?

7. Curious George - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM

My point was that whether you cut yourself a cheque or let your money stay in your corporation, it’s yours. If you are the owner, that is. If you are a member of the board of executives of a corporation, and vote in bonuses, well, that’s a different story. You’re taking someone else’s money and sticking it in your pocket.

8. wooden garden shed - Feb 5, 2010 at 5:41 PM

You made a reasonable statement, but have you actually pondered how it’d influence different people? I don’t say you’re incorrect, I only want to point out that there is more than Only one aspect to that argument.

9. search engine optimisation - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Hi, nice post. I look forward to your next post. Thank you, Jane

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2690)