Feb 5, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
It’s not been a great offseason for Jarrod Washburn. Rumored at various times to be going various places, Washburn still doesn’t have a job. The two teams most prominently mentioned in Washburn rumors — the Twins and Mariners — don’t seem particularly interested in him. In light of that, Jon Paul Morosi reports that Washburn may just hang it up:
So now what for Washburn?
It remains possible that Seattle or
Minnesota could boost its payroll by enough money to give Washburn an
enticing one-year offer. If that doesn’t happen, and if Washburn doesn’t want to play elsewhere, he has a third option.
sounds extreme, yes. But one major league source said Thursday that the
left-hander might decide to stay home in Wisconsin if he doesn’t get
the right offer from the right team.
I don’t know if Jarrod Washburn deserves a Major League job. He’s not as good as he looked in the first half of last year and he was pretty terrible for Detroit after the trade. He’s also reported to not be particularly motivated to play for anyone but Minnesota — where he lives — or Seattle, where he prospered. It may just be the end of the line for him.
But I can’t help but wonder if one more factor is at play here, and that’s his agent. Fella by the name of Scott Boras, who doesn’t seem like he would be the best representation if you, like Washburn, were in a position where the difference between getting a job and not getting a job is your willingness to go to a team with hat in hands.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)