Johnny Damon will be "lucky to get whatever he gets"

Feb 5, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT

That’s the sentiment of one American League executive reports Steve Kornacki of MLive:

“Sometimes, we ask for too much. Then, the smoke clears and you ask, ‘Where am I?’ And now,
I can’t believe anybody is going to offer Damon more than the $14
million and $6 million the Yankees did.

“If you turn them down for that, you deserve one year for $3 million
or whatever he is going to get. In February, teams have got guys in
place. My feeling is that now he is going to be lucky to get whatever
he gets. It’s still supply and demand in this game. And Johnny’s arrow
is in the middle or going down.”

American League executive, eh? Giving juicy quote to a Detroit reporter about Johnny Damon?  Is it too much to hope that the guy is Dave Dombrowski or something making some rear guard move against Mike Ilitch giving Damon and Boras more money than they deserve right now?

1. Old Gator - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I think the first problem Booner has to address is his spelling. Like, where’d that extra “o” come from?
    I’m old, yes, as you too will be eventually, Boner. But what I have lost in terms of natural hormonal support, I assure you (as does my wife and my various teenage mistresses) that I have more than compensated for pharmaceutically.
    Speaking of old movies, it is indicative of your level of ambient perception, not to mention irony, that the juvenile and simple Planes, Trains and Automobiles is your metaphor for incomprehensibility. Mine is El Topo, of similar vintage, but the fact is, I understood it perfectly on my second viewing.
    I am deeply touched by your affection and support, my friends, and for your championing of the correct, efficient use of all of our beloved English language. Protect and defend it always. Goose it once in a while with neologisms, too, so that it doesn’t take itself too seriously. Oh, yeah – and now that those activist neoconman judges on the Supreme Court have blown the gates off, may I instruct my campaign manager to solicit you for donations, especially if you own some hulking multinational corporation or zaibatsu? No, I’m not running for anything – but I read the decision carefully and it never said that you had to be.

2. I am Providence - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Huh? I’m a Red Sox fan and I think he’s a bum, too. Not a hobo or anything, just an obnoxious, dishonest ass that’s bad for baseball. If that makes me an idiot, then I suspect there are a lot of us idiots walking around.

3. BaseballFan2 - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Damon is to blame here just as much as Boras. All of his public comments point to an unrealistic belief that he is worth more than the market says he is. There’s a new reality in MLB for players like Damon – that is, aging players with declining skills who are still marginally useful and productive when healthy. If he can’t accept that new reality, maybe he should just retire. I’m a Yankees fan and I like Damon, but I won’t be too sad to see him go. I think we’ll be just fine.

4. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:17 AM

It would be nice if there were a newer reality for such players, like that abomination called the designated hitter being consigned to the compost heap of baseball lore where it belongs. If not for the DH, we wouldn’t even be wasting all this time gawking at the spectacle of Damon’s crash-and-burn; he’d be home ice fishing on a frozen pond or practicing his beer belches getting ready for Stupor Bowl Sunday somewhere and enjoying his retirement. And we’d be enjoying it too.

5. tombstone86 - Feb 6, 2010 at 7:41 AM

With the Unemployment rate hanging around 10% for the whole country.
    I guess Mr. Damon can take his butt to the unemployment counter and collect his check.
    I heard Target is looking for some warehouse workers.
    Better yet go live with your Buddy Scott; he got plenty of your money any way.
    Maybe next years free agents will wake up and realize that they have been over paid for too many years and come back to the reality there not worth that kind of money.
    Good luck to any team who signs him now.

6. peteinfla - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM

As hard as it is for me to agree with you, a Red Sox fan, I do, completely. Boras is a self serving, a-hole, who cares nothing about his client’s best interest, the fans who ultimately pay these outrageous salaries or the institution of baseball. His greed to squeeze every last dollar out of a team is disgusting, and has hurt mony of his clients like Damon, B.Molina, … this year. Ask A-Rod, Kevin Brown … from previous years. Time for these players to make a public spectacle out of Boras, and leave his firm en masse!

7. TAR - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Damon away from Yankee stadium
    260 average 12 HR and 55 RBI

8. BaseballFan2 - Feb 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Exactly. I hope his new team thinks that’s worth it.

9. Nasty Boy - Feb 6, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Don’t degrade yourself, alot of people feel the way you do. What makes you an idiot is being a red sucks fan.( note lower case for red sucks),thats what I think of them and you.

10. strman - Feb 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM

So now the collective batting average for the yankee out field is .250
    and that is supposed to be an upgrade? Fans will be screaming bloody murder by May when Tex has his usual slow start, Arod is sucking it up, Johnson is back in the MRI lab,
    and we’re all missing Damon and Godzilla.

11. Norris Desmore - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I Don’t know if this is any interest to anybody but music has seem to change for the better over the years. Even with the current state of the economy people still happen to find time to purchase music and I thought around these times are when sales should be down.

12. Brenton Latouf - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal, and Craig Hatkoff founded the Tribeca Film Institute (TFI) in the wake of September 11 to educate, entertain, and inspire filmmakers and film lovers. The institute hosts programs that draw on the power of film to promote understanding, tolerance, and global awareness. TFI also supports the cultural and economic revitalization of New York City and Lower Manhattan through arts-based initiatives.s

13. Jesse Stmary - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Come hear a panel discussion exploring storytelling in film today. The panel is part of “Tribeca Film Institute at The New School,” a new series that presents leaders from film and digital media production, financing, and distribution.

14. Athena Albury - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Lol this reminds me of when someone sent along this link on Youtube of Jay-Z’s appearance on my radio show back in 1995. Joining in were Mr. Voodoo and L Swift, of the now legendary Natural Elements crew (who hit the scene soon after Mr. Voodoo joined the show as my intern).

15. Jewel Gallargo - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:19 AM

J-Mo Beatz has some really nice beats on his page you really should take some time to listen to his music. He Dose hip-hop to pop and dose a very well job at it.

16. Glen Harradine - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:19 AM

17. Wilbur Guerini - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I thought it was just me but the music industry is truly changing for the better. Since 2000 music has greatly changed they its delivered to the consumers. People like J-Mo Beatz are really on top of their game when it comes to this stuff.

18. Dick Mateiro - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM

19. Enoch Adkisson - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM

20. Beau Brusuelas - Feb 7, 2010 at 9:36 AM

21. HSolo - Feb 9, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Please stop bloggin, you’re not made for that. It’s starting to upset me as I see your name everywhere. Please stop or I will turn you in for abuse.

22. Talisha Hussian - Feb 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I saw this really great post today, found it on yahoo. i think i may return some time.

23. DickTwilight - Feb 16, 2010 at 7:45 AM