Johnny Damon will be "lucky to get whatever he gets"

Feb 5, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT

That’s the sentiment of one American League executive reports Steve Kornacki of MLive:

“Sometimes, we ask for too much. Then, the smoke clears and you ask, ‘Where am I?’ And now,
I can’t believe anybody is going to offer Damon more than the $14
million and $6 million the Yankees did.

“If you turn them down for that, you deserve one year for $3 million
or whatever he is going to get. In February, teams have got guys in
place. My feeling is that now he is going to be lucky to get whatever
he gets. It’s still supply and demand in this game. And Johnny’s arrow
is in the middle or going down.”

American League executive, eh? Giving juicy quote to a Detroit reporter about Johnny Damon?  Is it too much to hope that the guy is Dave Dombrowski or something making some rear guard move against Mike Ilitch giving Damon and Boras more money than they deserve right now?

1. True Grich - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Looks like my piece about him becoming a rock and roll star (if there is such a thing on the Count Fair Circuit) is coming true.
    Johnny goes on tour

2. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Damn it Johnny D, I told you call Cash, but NO, you had to stubborn.
    I hope they keep a light on in the window for you, this didn’t have to end this way, breaking up is hard to do.

3. YankeesfanLen - Feb 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Psssst- Johnny- Hal’s out of town for a few days and you-know-who’s in charge. Show up with a carton of Marlboros and stop this nonsense!

4. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Damon, Washburn–Who else is a Boras client whose salary has gone to zero this off-season, at least in part due to the “efforts” of The Great Scott?

5. Old Gator - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Johnny needs to consider an incentive-laden contract offer from the Feesh, which I have a sinking feeling (all my feelings about the Feesh are sinking these days) is going to be where he winds up. And why not? He knows that if he has a halfway decent year with the bat he’ll be traded to a contender by the July deadline. That’s just how it works down here in Macondo.
    Incidentally, the town is starting to get interesting. The Super Bowl elves are all over the place, and the Macondo Expressway Authority just put up the silliest Superbowl-themed “Welcome to Macondo” scrim above the eastbound toll booth on the Dolfeen Expressway – you know, the bizarre Basquiat-like one they expect to net all those homebound Feesh fans coming back from the rapidly metastasizing Macondo Banana Massacre Stadium. Rich, that. Anyway, the scrim: in the foreground it’s got crude representations of the mascots of all the NFL teams that were eliminated in the playoffs, with barely discernible ones of the two teams that are in the Super Bowl buried in the back. The funniest of all is the big viking with his heavy bear fur hauberk (this is the tropics, remember?) and his face like a Dick Butkus who just got kicked in the balls.
    I drive past this stupid thing every evening on my way up to the Luna Star Cafe for my iced cappuccino and dollop of jazz or blues of an evening and it just cracks me up – almost compensates for the Normandy Beachhead worth of highway construction obstacles along the route.
    How could Johnny Damon not want to play here? He could be our next Dave Magadan.

6. Me - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Damon is a bum.

7. Booner - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Old Gator,
    A couple of times a week I read the CTB blog and you never fail to write the most annoying and incomprehensible shit out of all the people who take the time to post. Your posts remind me of a movie back in the 80’s called “Planes, Trains, & Automobiles” – your old so you should probably remember it. In the movie, John Candy’s character tells a very boring story to Steve Martin’s character and he responds by saying – “And by the way, you know, when you’re telling these little stories? Here’s a good idea – have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!” So may I say to you, Old Gator, have a point with your ramblings – it will make it much more interesting to all of us.

8. Spellmeister - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:20 PM

“your old so”
    Gator, you’re so old, you probably use the contraction “you’re” for “you are”. That’s how boring and old school you are.

9. Fast Eddy - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:31 PM

There is no room for Damon in Detroit. I don’t think he will play everyday and be effective. I am stick to my guns about where he should end up. If there is a team out there with a good OF now, and need a part timer to spell some of the regulars, that is the team he should be on. He will be very effective as a utility player. the price for him is going to be less than 4 Mil (one year) with incentives. Only the Yankees have more money than that to throw away on him, and they are no longer interested.

10. Curious George - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Damon would be the second best hitter on the Tigers vs. RHP. That is not without value in a very winnable division.

11. YankeesfanLen - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM

How about leave Old Gator alone! Or google some of his comments and expand your horizons.
    And Fast Eddy, I don’t think the Tigers will take him either, at this point he belongs in the Bronx.

12. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM

It could be possible, he was a idiot when he played for Boston.

13. YANKEES1996 - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Wrong!!!, Scott Boras is a BUM!!!!

14. peteinfla - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Hey Old Gator – I also read CTB every afternoon, and not only enjoy your posts, but look forward to them. ALthough I have to admit that I only understand whatever you are talking about a percentage of the time. Thank god for google and my thesaurus! My suspicion is that Booner neither understands any of what you say, nor has he ever even heard oa thesaurus. Who the hell is he to say you make no point – it’s just he is not bright enough to get them! Keep it up!

15. Skids - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Boraas will be screaming collusion for this. How dare they not pay his client the millions he deserves? I mean Boras.

16. Charles Gates - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Old Gator words he speaks big in.

17. Jeff - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM

If nobody is even offering Damon 3 million and the Yankees let him sign with another team for 2 million or less without counter offering then Cashman, Hank and Hal should all be ashamed of themselves. Johnny Damon is a true #2 hitter and the Yankees are a DRAMATICALLY worse team without him.

18. YANKEES1996 - Feb 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I agree peteinfla, I also find myself interested in what Old Gator has to say on any subject, and yes, I find myself on Google and Bing often after reading his posts. Old Gator is an acquired taste and either Booner does not have a refined palate or he just plain and simple does not get it!

19. Phil - Feb 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Wait. Remembering a film made in 1987 is all it takes to qualify as old with you? I’m guessing if 1987 is geezerhood, you’re (see how I did that?) still working on that toilet training thing.

20. Ace - Feb 5, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Not cool, man. Old Gator’s comments are an essential part of the CTB experience. Hell, sometimes I thinks he deserves his own column.

21. Rays fan - Feb 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Booner,
    Here’s a simple solution to your dilemma–if you don’t like Gator’s comments, don’t read them. Most of the rest of us do enjoy reading his comments, no matter how off the wall.
    As for your own post, the single best word to describe it is “stercoraceous.” Feel free to look it up, assuming you know how to use a dictionary.

22. denniscb - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:26 PM

It had to come finally for Johnny, the arrogance of both Damon and the AH Boras had to produce what it has, nothing, and not only his demand have diminished, but his deficiencies are more relevant now, we’ve got to remember, Johnny might be the only outfielder ever to being assisted by another outfielder, remember Manny intercepting his throw ?, hahahaha!, one of the most hilarious plays I have ever seen.

23. Antonio Fernandez - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Johnny get as far away from those jerks in NY. all they think about is money, you are the man go and find someone who will sign you up and show those bums you know which end of the bat the ball meets
    Good Luck John hope to see you in a better team this year

24. Robinson42 - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:46 PM

If you really think Scott Boras is a bum, you’re an idiot. Or a Yankee fan.

25. I am Providence - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Everything everyone else wrote to you, I agree, even Yoda Gates. If you don’t get Old Gator just scroll by his entries. There appear to be a lot of us on here who find them very entertaining.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3786)