Feb 5, 2010, 9:51 AM EST
UPDATE: Heyman tweets the contract details: $1.25 million plus a $2 million club option for 2011. Not so much, but as Drew notes below, I wish the Nats would take a chance on Ian Desmond to start the season. What do they have to lose?
12:24 A.M.: According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Nationals have agreed to terms with second baseman Adam Kennedy.
Ladson has also been told that Kennedy will serve as the “everyday second baseman” in Washington. It seems that may change sooner than later, though, considering Ian Desmond hit .354/.428/.461 in 205 plate appearances at Triple-A and probably wouldn’t mind debuting in the bigs at a position other than his native short. Unless, of course, the Nationals want to deny Cristian Guzman at-bats, which wouldn’t be a terrible idea considering the tumbling stat lines we’ve seen from him the last three years:
Guzman’s 2007 OPS: .846
Guzman’s 2008 OPS: .785
Guzman’s 2009 OPS: .696
Sometimes it doesn’t take much at all to recognize honest regression. Dare we call this an upgrade? Or at least a positive?
- UPDATE: The Braves and Padres are nearing a Justin Upton trade 31
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 63
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 10
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 88
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)