Feb 5, 2010, 9:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: Heyman tweets the contract details: $1.25 million plus a $2 million club option for 2011. Not so much, but as Drew notes below, I wish the Nats would take a chance on Ian Desmond to start the season. What do they have to lose?
12:24 A.M.: According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Nationals have agreed to terms with second baseman Adam Kennedy.
Ladson has also been told that Kennedy will serve as the “everyday second baseman” in Washington. It seems that may change sooner than later, though, considering Ian Desmond hit .354/.428/.461 in 205 plate appearances at Triple-A and probably wouldn’t mind debuting in the bigs at a position other than his native short. Unless, of course, the Nationals want to deny Cristian Guzman at-bats, which wouldn’t be a terrible idea considering the tumbling stat lines we’ve seen from him the last three years:
Guzman’s 2007 OPS: .846
Guzman’s 2008 OPS: .785
Guzman’s 2009 OPS: .696
Sometimes it doesn’t take much at all to recognize honest regression. Dare we call this an upgrade? Or at least a positive?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)