Feb 5, 2010, 9:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: Heyman tweets the contract details: $1.25 million plus a $2 million club option for 2011. Not so much, but as Drew notes below, I wish the Nats would take a chance on Ian Desmond to start the season. What do they have to lose?
12:24 A.M.: According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Nationals have agreed to terms with second baseman Adam Kennedy.
Ladson has also been told that Kennedy will serve as the “everyday second baseman” in Washington. It seems that may change sooner than later, though, considering Ian Desmond hit .354/.428/.461 in 205 plate appearances at Triple-A and probably wouldn’t mind debuting in the bigs at a position other than his native short. Unless, of course, the Nationals want to deny Cristian Guzman at-bats, which wouldn’t be a terrible idea considering the tumbling stat lines we’ve seen from him the last three years:
Guzman’s 2007 OPS: .846
Guzman’s 2008 OPS: .785
Guzman’s 2009 OPS: .696
Sometimes it doesn’t take much at all to recognize honest regression. Dare we call this an upgrade? Or at least a positive?
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)