Feb 5, 2010, 9:51 AM EDT
UPDATE: Heyman tweets the contract details: $1.25 million plus a $2 million club option for 2011. Not so much, but as Drew notes below, I wish the Nats would take a chance on Ian Desmond to start the season. What do they have to lose?
12:24 A.M.: According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Nationals have agreed to terms with second baseman Adam Kennedy.
Ladson has also been told that Kennedy will serve as the “everyday second baseman” in Washington. It seems that may change sooner than later, though, considering Ian Desmond hit .354/.428/.461 in 205 plate appearances at Triple-A and probably wouldn’t mind debuting in the bigs at a position other than his native short. Unless, of course, the Nationals want to deny Cristian Guzman at-bats, which wouldn’t be a terrible idea considering the tumbling stat lines we’ve seen from him the last three years:
Guzman’s 2007 OPS: .846
Guzman’s 2008 OPS: .785
Guzman’s 2009 OPS: .696
Sometimes it doesn’t take much at all to recognize honest regression. Dare we call this an upgrade? Or at least a positive?
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69