Feb 5, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Yesterday at an auction in California an anonymous bidder paid $103,579 for the ball Alex Rodriguez hit for his 500th career homer. Rodriguez hit the homer off Kyle Davies of the Royals at the old Yankee Stadium in August of 2007, and has since hit another 83 bombs.
Generally speaking the 500-homer club has lost quite a bit of its luster in recent years, so I’m not sure how much the 500th-homer ball of a guy who’ll probably end up with 750 or 800 homers will ultimately be worth. I’m willing to guess that the answer will be “less than $103,579.”
Comic book mogul Todd McFarlane once spent $3 million on Mark McGwire’s record-setting 70th-homer ball and then dropped another $450,000 to get the ball Barry Bonds hit for No. 73 a few years later, but those have probably held their value about as well as my collection of Ruben Mateo rookie cards.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11