Steve Phillips to speak on Monday

Feb 5, 2010, 8:30 AM EST

Thumbnail image for steve phillips.jpgIf you’re like me, the airwaves just haven’t been the same since Steve Phillips got fired.  But never fear! My corporate parent has seen to it that you’ll get your fix on Monday:

Steve Phillips, fired late last October from ESPN over an embarrassing extramarital affair with a young staffer at the network, will go public with his story for the first time Monday during a “Today” show interview with Matt Lauer.

Sources said the Phillips interview is expected to air during the early portion of the show.

I’m going to go out and a limb here and guess that the grovelling-to-informing ratio is going to be on the high side. Because really, there isn’t much for Phillips to tell here. He got busted for an inappropriate workplace relationship. Again. While the behavior of the young lady in question was rather nuts, it’s a pretty simple story from Phillips’ perspective.

So the grovelling will be really important here. Why? Employment.  No, not with ESPN or in baseball or anything like that. Because really, his behavior has made him more or less unemployable either as a media personality or as someone in a position of authority in a Major League Baseball office. And that’s just because of the affair-with-an-underling stuff.  If you bring his awfulness as a media personality and fecklessness as a GM into the equation, the dude is positively radioactive.

However, if he can muster some real tears for Lauer on Monday he may yet be able to parlay a book deal or a series of paid speaking engagements out of this.  And if that happens, we all win, don’t we?

1. ditmars1929 - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:55 AM

As long as he’s not dicussing or analyzing baseball, he can have all the air time he wants!

2. BC - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I’ll start the campaign now – fire Minaya and bring back Phillips!! Just keep him away from the interns….

3. Jamie - Feb 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM

“Celebrity Apprentice, here I come!”

4. Simon DelMonte - Feb 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I liked him as a GM. I liked him as a broadcaster. I’d take him back in a second as GM for the Mets. And I don’t care about his private life.

5. Greg - Feb 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM

As a GM he sucked & as a studio host for ESPN & occasional announcer for games he also sucked. That should be the main reason he isn’t mployable in those fields. Bonking an intern happens all the time, he let it go on way too long & it screwed him. All done on his by his own actions. No reason to talk & try to blame it on the girl, you both got got so just own up & then shut up & go away.

6. BC - Feb 5, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I’d rather have him as a GM than Omar. AND you’d get a two-fer: he wouldn’t be on TV nearly as much. See? Everyone wins!

7. Braim04 - Feb 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM

c’mon folks – this guy had a stupid affair and you act like he is a criminal. He made a stupid choice – and mistake – he’s lost his job at ESPN, paid for his mistake, she gets a book deal and life goes on.
    Why is he a leper compared to some others? How many of you idolize Ray Lewis or countless others that made and continue to make far worse mistakes. He’s human. Get over it.

8. chris - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM

What mistakes exactly does ray lewis continue to make?

9. Union - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Harold Reynolds ended up with MLB.tv, so I guess there is still some hope for him. Although, I think Reynolds got fired for sexual harassment not affairs with coworkers. To each his own!

10. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

No matter how much Craig would love to see Phillips never earn a living in baseball again, he will.I say he will be scooped up at MLB sometime in the future.He didn’t kill anyone or use drug’s, how many players did. Tony LaRussa is a DRUNK who fell asleep at the wheel at a red light and he will get a extension and he hired a McLiar, a steroid non-enhancing performance user, maybe I’m craZy but are these model citizens, NOPE.
    Don’t throw stones people

11. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Don’t throw stones people

12. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I don’t know if he continues to make any mistakes but he was around when a murder happened, I know he was not guilty of anything but he wasn’t a saint in the entire episode.I like Ray and a lot of the guy’s from the U, BUT THAT WAS A CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION.Steve owned up and his wife is not too happy, his kid’s I feel bad for but he didn’t commit a crime.

13. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM

He hugged a young lady.

14. John Pileggi - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Lewis actually copped a plea to a lesser charge and agreed to testify against his pals in exchange for no jail time. They were found not guilty, owing to his lack of credibility.
    Philips was a crummy GM. As an announcer and analyst, he was unkind to his former peers and often misinformed or of questionable objectivity, given his desire to get another GM job. His future employment or family relations are his own business, but he is no asset to baseball or the media.

15. jdut - Feb 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Have any of you seen pictures of this beast that he messed around with??? He didn’t get fired for having an affair, he got fired for having an affair with the ugliest chick at the network!!! His wife must have been devastated that he resorted beastiality!!! Chick is a mutt. Shame on you Steve

16. BC - Feb 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM

If I “hug a young lady” in an office setting at my place (not ESPN) I’m out the door within the hour. Guy has to have more
    sense than he did, given that he was nailed (no pun intended)
    before with my Mets for the same thing.
    Everyone has skeletons. Tony Larussa, good point. People forget
    John Gruden’s DUI arrest (think there might have been two, unsure).
    Charles Barkley. Heck, one Hall of Famer and one hopefully to
    be Hall of Famer (Reggie White, Cris Carter) blew coke and were
    nailed for it early in their careers. I think Bruce Smith did
    as well.
    It does not make it right, but it’s all in the setting and
    situation. Is it fair, no. If I get a DUI, I lose my job.
    Others can blow coke or worse, murder dogs, run over people
    on a Miami highway when drunk, and still have the prospect of
    making a living at a 20x multiple salary of mine.
    Life just isn’t fair. So be it. Bleep happens.

17. Travelingman - Feb 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Phillips like Peter Gammons will go to MLBTV as a commentator.

18. Khalif Salahuddin - Feb 5, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Thank you very much, you are so right. Why does the woman in these situations always come out looking good or looking like victims when they have participated as much as the man. In this case, whe was worse! She stalked his family and showed up at his house and she gets to keep her job, what the hell!

19. Sarita Wittenborn - Feb 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Do state databases for inmates have any protocols for connecting to each other so as to not miss an inmate having crimes from state to state?

20. desertdawg - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:51 AM

has anyone mentioned how HOT this dude is…WooF!! Hot Man!!!

21. willmose - Feb 6, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Steve Phillips will announce that he is going to Haiti to recuse young women made homeless by the earthquake. He will take them to a baseball “camp” in the DR where he will personally train them to be Annies.

22. GRF - Northern NJ - Feb 6, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I agree with Simon DelMonte and Braim04 – except the Ray Lewis comment.
    I actually liked him as a broadcaster and analyst. Heard him frequently on ESPN radio here in the NYC metro area. I will only focus on his professional life as a baseball fan. His personal life is his own business and he has done a very good job of screwing that up. He has paid quite a price in personal shame, embarassment, and family life destruction with it being widely broadcasted. This is the type of thing that our sad state of society and the media jump all over ad infinitum.
    Some of the comments made here are juvenile and immature. I have not seen any specific criticism of how and why he sucked as Greg indicates. Am sure that if many of you became public figures you would not want the skeletons falling out of your closets for the world to see at the expense of your family and friends. You would want some measure of forgiveness so that you can get on with a life that has been dramatcially changed.
    I really do not like Minaya as GM, he should be bounced back to VP of Player Development where he does a decent job. Don’t think Steve should be reinstated as GM , I still am upset that he caused Valentine’s departure (brilliant baseball mind but nutty at times).
    Someone will pick up Philips as he is a very bright (affair would say otherwise) and experienced baseball person and talent evaluator. He will likely fly under the radar for a few years working in a special capacity for some team.
    Cut the guy some slack.

23. Gregory Despainda - Feb 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Hey, absolutlty love the blog and will definatley be coming back in the near future!

24. Track and field - Mar 4, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Hey, I found your blog in a new directory of blogs. I dont know how your blog came up, must have been a typo, anyway cool blog, I bookmarked you. :)

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4420)
  2. M. Kemp (3579)
  3. M. Cabrera (2850)
  4. M. Morse (2522)
  5. J. Kang (2337)
  1. J. Upton (2332)
  2. C. Headley (2132)
  3. A. Rios (2090)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1782)
  5. J. Peavy (1780)