The Yankees: the worst case scenario Part III

Feb 5, 2010, 4:45 PM EST

Why? Because there are more masochistic Yankees fans than you realize, they love this stuff and I live to serve. The last installment from NYaT is the pen, the bench and the coaches:

Phil Hughes/Joba Chamberlain. What it would look like:
Their 2009 playoffs. The thought is that whichever one of these two
does not make the rotation will be the set-up man. But what if that
isn’t the case? What if they pitch as poorly as they did in the 2009
playoffs? What if Joba starts crying every time he gives up a home run
in a big situation like he did in the World Series after giving up the
bomb to Pedro Feliz? What if the magic that Joba showed in 2007 and
2008 and Hughes showed in 2009 doesn’t show up?  The Yankees suddenly
have a problem.

And if you click through for no other reason, click through to watch the Mike Francessa mashup video in which the fat guy goes nutzoid on Joba.  Dear. God.

1. Rays fan - Feb 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM

The Yanks have a lot of outstanding players that I admire greatly (and wish played for other teams), so I don’t think the nightmare scenario is any significant number of them suddenly having big drops in performance level. The more plausible scenario is inuries. Most of their key players are over 30, and some over 35. Eventually, players do not recover from nagging injuries well, and are more likely to sustain major injuries. I do not wish it on them, or any other team, but it could happen.

2. John F - Feb 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Hey Rays Fan – You are a class act. Good luck this year. I’m always going to be a Rays fan for preventing our nemesis from getting the chance to defend their title two years ago so if it isn’t us I hope it’s you. And I agree with you, things went a little too well injurywise for the pinstripers last year. Odds are things won’t go as smoothly this time around.

3. I am Providence - Feb 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM

A Red Sox fan here, and I have to agree with both of you. If things go bad for the Yankees it’ll be due to age and/or injuries. Though I still think the outfield is not that impressive. Granderson is a very nice addition, but other than that there’s Swisher, Gardner and Wynn.

4. NewYorker - Feb 5, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Ya know, this Yankee fan is worried. Worried, man.
    Jeter, A-Rod, Teixeira, Posada, Cano – Granderson, Swisher, Johnson, etc.
    Sabathia, Burnett, Pettitte, Vasquez, Chamberlain, Hughes, etc.
    Mariano, etc.
    So worried, I just can’t wait.

5. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:47 AM

It’s not an impressive outfield at all. If Dye is still out there, the Borg ought to grab him. Gardner will be lucky to hit his weight. I don’t know from Wynn, but Jimmy Wynn he probably ain’t. Frankly, this is the most unimpressive outfield the Borg has put out there since I can recall, and I can recall a lot of Borg outfields. Maybe the weakest since the CBS days. They may be able to ace the AL East with that outfield, given that the Beanbags are so much weaker than last season, but I think the Mariners will wipe their…uh…floor with the Borg come October if this is the best they can do.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5231)
  2. M. Kemp (3109)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2800)
  4. C. McGehee (2795)