Feb 5, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
He’s not quite in Russell Branyan territory, but we now know that Yorvit Torrealba cost himself a bunch of money by turning down a good offer early in the offseason.
Six weeks ago Torrealba reportedly turned down a two-year deal from the Rockies worth around $5 million, with talks apparently breaking up over a difference of $400,000 or so. Colorado quickly moved on, signing Miguel Olivo for $2 million, and that left Torrealba scrambling for work until he finalized a one-year deal with San Diego this afternoon.
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney has the details of Torrealba’s contract, which includes $750,000 in base salary for 2010 along with a $3.5 million mutual option or $500,000 buyout for 2011. In other words, odds are that Torrealba will end up making $1.25 million for one season before hitting the open market again next winter. So for a difference of about $400,000 he probably cost himself nearly $4 million.
Torrealba will probably feel better about his decision when Johnny Damon signs for $10 million less than the Yankees were offering, but $4 million is still $4 million.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)