Feb 5, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
He’s not quite in Russell Branyan territory, but we now know that Yorvit Torrealba cost himself a bunch of money by turning down a good offer early in the offseason.
Six weeks ago Torrealba reportedly turned down a two-year deal from the Rockies worth around $5 million, with talks apparently breaking up over a difference of $400,000 or so. Colorado quickly moved on, signing Miguel Olivo for $2 million, and that left Torrealba scrambling for work until he finalized a one-year deal with San Diego this afternoon.
ESPN.com’s Buster Olney has the details of Torrealba’s contract, which includes $750,000 in base salary for 2010 along with a $3.5 million mutual option or $500,000 buyout for 2011. In other words, odds are that Torrealba will end up making $1.25 million for one season before hitting the open market again next winter. So for a difference of about $400,000 he probably cost himself nearly $4 million.
Torrealba will probably feel better about his decision when Johnny Damon signs for $10 million less than the Yankees were offering, but $4 million is still $4 million.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 28
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)