Feb 5, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
After noting the dearth of contract offers after 2008, and the utter lack of leverage he had with respect to his opt-out clause after last season, Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times wonders whether 2010 will be Manny’s swan song:
This might well be the last season of Ramirez’s career. If he wants to
play for relative peanuts next year, maybe he finds a job. But given
the absence of a market for Ramirez over the last two winters as well
as the suspension and the decline in his production last season, who’s
to say he even gets a contract offer?
The dynamic Shaikin describes regarding Manny’s last two offseasons has not been about finding him employment, it’s been about optimizing his position among the richest of the rich contracts out there. Of course he didn’t get multiple offers these past two winters: his fallback was in the $20 million range, and there are only a couple of clubs who ever venture in that territory, none of which needed a guy like Ramirez these past two years.
But the winter of 2010-11 is going to be an entirely different animal for Ramirez, and while I’ve taken my whacks at Scott Boras recently, he’s no dummy. Unless Manny puts up an MVP-caliber season, he’ll probably be looking for a DH or left field job paying him less than eight figures. And unless he utterly falls off a cliff this season, he should get no small amount of interest in that price range.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 0
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 35
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)