Feb 6, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, the Nationals have signed veteran left-hander Shawn Estes to a minor league contract. Estes, who turns 37 later this month, didn’t appear in the majors last season, but was 3-4 with a 3.07 ERA in 13 starts with Triple-A Albuquerque in the Dodgers organization.
Of course, Mets fans know him best for famously throwing behind Roger Clemens “in retaliation” for a pair of incidents with Mike Piazza. We’ve all seen the video dozens of times, but it’s easy to forget that Estes and Piazza later homered off Clemens in the very same game. Anyhow, Estes will be sure to pack his pinpoint accuracy for camp with the ‘Nats.
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 33
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 59
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- Cardinals reportedly making a strong push to acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 49
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)