Feb 6, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, the Nationals have signed veteran left-hander Shawn Estes to a minor league contract. Estes, who turns 37 later this month, didn’t appear in the majors last season, but was 3-4 with a 3.07 ERA in 13 starts with Triple-A Albuquerque in the Dodgers organization.
Of course, Mets fans know him best for famously throwing behind Roger Clemens “in retaliation” for a pair of incidents with Mike Piazza. We’ve all seen the video dozens of times, but it’s easy to forget that Estes and Piazza later homered off Clemens in the very same game. Anyhow, Estes will be sure to pack his pinpoint accuracy for camp with the ‘Nats.
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 6
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 56
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 23
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 26
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (98)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)