Tim Lincecum cuts his hair, lacks furniture

Feb 6, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT

Lincecum long hair.jpgIt’s not like there’s some kind of Nazarite oath afoot here that will sap Tim Lincecum of all of his power in the event his locks are shorn, but I still don’t like this one bit:

His hair is 3 inches shorter. He said he cut it before last month’s
baseball writers’ banquet in New York because “it looked unhealthy.”

In other news, Lincecum says says that he’s currently storing his two Cy Young awards in the backseat of his car.

If I worked for the Giants and was preparing for the arbitration I’d stay away from the “Lincecum hasn’t earned a $13 million salary” argument because that’s just false.  I would, however, try out a “Lincecum wouldn’t know what to do with $13 million even if he had it” argument.  Dude doesn’t even have a bookshelf.

1. Dave - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Let’s be honest here and not take things to biblical proportion (pun fully intended). If you saw a picture of him in his suit at his court hearing with hair down and pacific northwest tan, he looked eerily like Michael Jackson (later years). When you start looking like that, it’s time to cut the hair.

2. Bubba Lebowski (no relation) - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Hey! Put some kind of warning on these early-morning posts. I am sick and tired of spraying my Wheaties (no Count Chocula out here) all over my monitor laughing.
    Bubba in LA

3. Tom Plucinski - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Does this mean that Lincecum is the second coming of Bill “Spaceman” Lee, or perhaps, Mark Fidrych?

4. Tom - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I agree. Realistic content, not tabloid type trash gladly accepted.

5. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Totally awesome, man. The Dude abides, relation or no.
    The haircut’s a good idea. It’ll make it easier to comb out the nits. If mama was sucking on one of his capillaries, the larve are probably too stoned to move out on their own.

6. Bubba Lebowski (no relation) - Feb 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Old gator dude, a big hey from LA.
    Raining outside, I think. Down the library using a computer again, until the library fascists toss the Bubs out. Looking online for a Blu Ray of Logjammin’, but they’re still sold out. And hey, man, like if you ever need one, I know this dude who can get you a toe by three o’clock – with nail polish. Man, the library woman is like, throwing the Bubbaski out again.
    Look out for the Johnson,
    Bubba Lebowski (no relation)

7. giantjeff - Feb 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I don’t care what he looks like and I don’t care if he makes thirteen mil or 10 or 15 as long as he pitches like he did last year. This guy is an amazing pitcher, is a professional, shows up and gets the job done. All you long hair bashers must really miss the sixties where you could go around verbally bashing and hating all the time. Now you have nothing better to do than to bash a young star that has really done something with his life because his hair is longer than average. Your jealous that he is his own person and at the pinnacle of the pitching world. You guys are really sad.

8. Chris Simonds - Feb 6, 2010 at 1:56 PM

AP article that I found through The Globe Red Sox page says that Lincecum plans to give the Cy Young # 1 trophy to his dad (named Chris!) because he taught Tim his weird but totally awesome pitching mechanics. Also that he’s cool with arbitration and appreciates a Giants honcho showing up for his pot bust day-in-court. Also that he has a French bulldog named, of course, “Cy”.
    You can keep your Albert Pujols. My man-crash is totally for Timmy.

9. Chris Simonds - Feb 6, 2010 at 1:58 PM

oops – here:
    ——-
    been drinking my way through this snow storm…..

10. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Well hey, man, like, chill, you know? Your attitude is bigtime thalidomide. Flattop in “Come Together” was modeled after yours truly. In the Sixties, heck, I was the sixties. And I’m still waiting for the electrician. I was passing the doobers around the Fillmore West and Winterland before you were a gleam in your granddaddy’s eye. I ran gels for Glen McKay. Most of the current medication resistant strains of hair lice out there mutated in and around my proud mane. You want a relict hippie? You got him. You wanna hear me rap? Okay, I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness….

11. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Oh, yeah – and keep out of my beachfront community!

12. tacklebox - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM

What team would care if his hair was to his ankles if he was their property? Any of you ever watch the games with Timmy in the dugout. The kid is a teamwork dream. What a happy go lucky kid. His personal life is his business. Mock his hair but 2 Cy Youngs says everything. Beauty is not necessary to be a winner…

13. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:46 PM

“Beauty is not necessary to be a winner…”
    …or so said Julia Roberts about Lyle Lovett.
    So it goes.

14. planktonDisciple - Feb 6, 2010 at 3:42 PM

He does have a bookshelf. It is end to end bongs. Haven’t seen a person who seems more likely to have been teleported from the 70′s.
    Do love to watch the dude pitch. Hope his unorthodox delivery doesn’t cut short his career.

15. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Looking at the photo, I’m thinking maybe Gilbert Shelton thought him up. Maybe he’s the long lost Fabulous Furry Freak Brother.

16. Motherscratcher - Feb 6, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Jeez Giantjeff. You’re a real reactionary, dude. Did you just wake up this morning bound and determined to get super pissed off about something?
    You’re being very undude.

17. Motherscratcher - Feb 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Damn – replied to the wrong comment. Sorry Old Gator.
    Ah…f**k it.

18. Kraig Daloisio - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Great article and thanks you for writting this article.

19. Old Gator - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM

That’s OK – I woke up with a chip on my shoulder this morning anyway (which is not like a bone spur, so I can’t use it to strip bamboo like those stupid pandas that keep coming into my yard and ruining my prize plants – it also doesn’t impede my running so I can still run up to the fat little bastards and spray them right in their effete intellectual muzzles with my can of Black Flag Koala and Panda Bomb).
    So, since you had the temerity to respond in a contentious (even if accidental) manner to someone else’s post and blame me for it, why don’t you go take a flying fark at a rolling donut, eh?
    I’ll be in a better mood tomorrow, when all these slime-trailing sportswriters, trailer trashees, right-wing evangelists with face-painted fleur-de-lis, direct emissaries from the Vatican preparing the halftime beatification of Peyton Manning, grease crayon salesmen and beer company reps go home after the stupor bowl and we can pull out those retracted left and right field corner seat platforms where the ghosts of championships past like to sit (which is the only reason I can think of that they don’t cover those seats up with a blue tarp like the entire upper deck and half of the mezzanine), and get serious about prepping the field for baseball so all the folks at home can sit dry and comfy in their dens and watch the games on cable while drinking reasonably priced beer from the local Publix or Winn Dixie and eating low fat turkey hot dogs with low sodium hot dog relish, also reasonably priced, in a venue with a homey, human-scale, meaningful name like “13840 South West One Hundred and Ninth Avenue, Tectonic Uplift, Florida 33156″
    And don’t ever cross me again, understand?

20. search engine optimisation - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Hi, nice post. I look forward to your next article. Thanks, Saskia

21. Arturo Fuente - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:30 PM

It’s news mainly because you help make it into news. Cnn.com has Five shortcuts to articles similar to this on their main page, like this one

22. Tanning Spray - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Hi darling, sweet site! I genuinely treasure this blog post.. I was wondering about this for a while now. This cleared a lot up for me! Do you have a rss feed that I can add?

23. Casimira Rengers units - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Just wanted to give you a shout from the valley of the sun, great information. Much appreciated.

24. Zaida Cabinets - Feb 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for the post I actually learned something from it. Very good content on this site Always looking forward to new post.

25. reclining lawn chair - Feb 19, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Hey. Great blog. I’ve been searching around for blogs like this for a while, and I finally found the info I’ve been looking for!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3981)