Your daily Damon update

Feb 6, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but the Braves and the Tigers are somewhat interested in Johnny Damon and would sign him if the price was right:

It’s not clear how many suitors are showing interest in Johnny Damon at the moment. But the Tigers and Braves are definitely among the group, multiple major league sources told FOXSports.com late Friday . . . Thus far, the Braves have taken a more passive approach than the
Tigers. They would be happy to sign Damon if he “falls into their lap,”
one source said Friday, but are unlikely to offer him a lucrative deal.

We’re approaching the point where specific rumors regarding Damon are becoming meaningless because if his price is so low that teams like the Braves are coming back into play — say$2-3 million for a single year — just about any team can afford him, even the ones who have never once been rumored to be interested.

Think of it like the going out of business sale at the local video store: you or I would never buy a copy of “Wicker Man” on DVD in the normal course, but if it was sitting alone on a shelf for $1.99, we’d probably think really hard about picking it up.

OK, that’s nuts, but Johnny Damon is still useful, and these prices, some team is going to decide that they can’t afford not to buy.

1. Chris Kash - Feb 6, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I assume you are referring to the Nick Cage version of Wicker Man and not to the original?

2. Jeff V. - Feb 6, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I would hope so, I actually own a copy of the original Wicker Man.

3. HBG - Feb 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Lay off the Wicker Man…Nic Cage wears a freakin bear costume in it! I’d pay more for a copy of “Wicker Man” on DVD than I’d pay for a season of Johnny Damon.
    /actually walked out during the movie

4. Richie S - Feb 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Can the Yankees really be dense enough to allow Damon to become a Tiger or Brave for $3 million or less, while they spend 2010 waiting in futility for Gardner to get some clutch hits or Wynn to break out of a season long slump? Sanity anyone? Can you see the Yankees explaining this if they are struggling late season while Damon is doing what he has always done at the plate?
    Or is it Damon who, unlike ARod, is just too egotistical and stubborn to accept anything less than he asked for and is willing to play for peanuts (peanuts in his world anyway) to prove a point?

5. Mike - Feb 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM

How can the Yanks NOT sign Damon for 2-3 million? If he is available for that price, and if his head can recover from the colossal mistake of rejecting a 14 million dollar 2 year contract, what possible down side is there for the Yanks to pull the trigger on this?

6. Mike - Feb 6, 2010 at 11:54 AM

7. Mike - Feb 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM

8. Geek - Feb 6, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Over the years many have parted from the Yankees few causing me to say it was a mistake to let them go. It would have been nice to keep the team intact to the extent possible but agents, greed have got in the way. The Team and the fans will miss Damon but he is not someone to fret over.
    Damon and his agent set out the terms and neither the Yankees nor any other team have jumped thru hoops to sign him. It proves to me that the Yankees assessment is right on and the fans just hate to see him go but that is an emotional reaction. I hated to see Bernie Williams go as well, but its a profession and a sport.

9. Nasty Boy - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM

I totally agree with you. If they think Gardner is the answer, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell them. I felt all along that either Melky, or Gardner would be traded for some pitching ,and I was praying to God it would have been Gardner, but no such luck. If it were me, I would tell Damon Bring me your best offer , we’ll match it. case closed.

10. yanksaregodsteam - Feb 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Hey retard, whats with the repeated post?

11. Old gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

As sick as I am of the entire issue of Johnny Damon and the entire issue of sports gerontology, I can’t let an allusion to Wicker Man go by without comment. Look, there was only one Nicholas Cage role ever worth watching – the psychotic advertising executive in The Vampire’s Kiss. Laurence Olivier, Takeshi Shimura, Erich von Stroheim and Anthony Hopkins combined never played a scene as good as Nick’s screaming argument with a lamppost (or was it a fireplug), believing it was his ex, near the end of that film.
    Now living as I do here in Macondo, what with the baaahhhh-AWRK! of goats having their throats slit and the cluck-cluck-bwaaaaarrrrrkkkkkk! of chickens being decapitated by Santeras and Macumba priests in the backyards adjacent to mine – all under Supreme Court protection, thanks to some cow sacrifice that ran afoul of the Hialeah police a couple of decades ago – not to mention quite a few years of study in theology, mythology and folklore, a degree in comparative religion and a couple of years working with two of the most prominent mythologists in the world – I think I have a certain special vantage from which to adjudge the original Wicker Man an unqualified masterpiece, right down to the wonderful Lake Renegade flown by the constable (I have about four hours of right seat time in those things – next best thing to you-know-what under normal circumstances, and at my age, next best to nothing), and the Nicholas Cage remake a…a…remake, which, with the possible exception of John Carpenter’s version of The Thing (well shee-yit, Marshall Dillon, I is sorry), says it all, doesn’t it?

12. Chris Simonds - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Bad analogy. Damon still has some value. Whereas I would accept a minimum of $1.99, in payment to me, to remove copies of “The Wicker Man”, either version, from video store shelves, and dispose of them in whatever manner I can find that has the least ecological impact. But pay for them… ?

13. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Wicker Man is a lucid metaphor for our current situation, bubba. You think Obama feels any different right now than that constable in the wicker man? That’s Pelosi and Reid with the jackalope antler hats and a host of the rest of those bungling Democrats clueless Democrats in fool’s motley linking arms and singing whatever it is that the Aggies used to sing around their bonfire.

14. Stone - Feb 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Whose wife did Damon sleep with? How does this guy not have a job or any offers?

15. Old Gator - Feb 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I think he nailed Hillary Clinton while Slick Willie was out…er…campaigning. It would’ve been fine except he left a note in the fridge for Bill to pick up some more Velveeta and a box of saltines next time he was over at the Seven-Eleven.

16. Fast Eddy - Feb 8, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I told you so, about a month ago. Damon will not sign until Spring, and not for 7 Mil for two years. And, it is about time to let this go. There are more important issues than Damon.

17. Ryan - Feb 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I’d give Johnny his 15 million just to avoid spending 2 bucks on that terrible movie.

18. online stock trading - Feb 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Your blog is so informative … ..I just bookmarked you….keep up the good work!!!!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5400)