Feb 6, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but the Braves and the Tigers are somewhat interested in Johnny Damon and would sign him if the price was right:
It’s not clear how many suitors are showing interest in Johnny Damon at the moment. But the Tigers and Braves are definitely among the group, multiple major league sources told FOXSports.com late Friday . . . Thus far, the Braves have taken a more passive approach than the
Tigers. They would be happy to sign Damon if he “falls into their lap,”
one source said Friday, but are unlikely to offer him a lucrative deal.
We’re approaching the point where specific rumors regarding Damon are becoming meaningless because if his price is so low that teams like the Braves are coming back into play — say$2-3 million for a single year — just about any team can afford him, even the ones who have never once been rumored to be interested.
Think of it like the going out of business sale at the local video store: you or I would never buy a copy of “Wicker Man” on DVD in the normal course, but if it was sitting alone on a shelf for $1.99, we’d probably think really hard about picking it up.
OK, that’s nuts, but Johnny Damon is still useful, and these prices, some team is going to decide that they can’t afford not to buy.
- Blockbuster Alert! There’s a good chance the Red Sox package Lackey land Lester together 0
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)