Piling on the Mets, Volume XVI

Feb 7, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT

minaya talking.JPGThe Mets certainly don’t need any more ragging, but sometimes it’s hard to resist.  A rough offseason filled with negative storylines has bred a mile-high pile of superb quotes and observations.  Here’s the opinion of one veteran sports agent, courtesy of the New York Post’s Joel Sherman:

“How can you have that payroll and still not have a starting catcher or
first baseman, a second baseman you hate and no legitimate starters
after Johan [Santana]?”

1. Walter Bishop - Feb 7, 2010 at 10:42 AM

This is going to be you’re typical Mutt’s Season, with all their key off-season signings, they’ll finish in their usual spot, OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS!!! MUTT’S SUCK!!! Why else would they be located in such a fitting city, FLUSHING!!! As the Mutt’s ballboy Nelson Muntz says, HA-HA!!!

2. Mike - Feb 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM

4th place. New GM and Manager prior to the end of the season. Rebuilding starts the following year. That’s what Mets fans have to look forward to.

3. Mike - Feb 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM

4. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 7, 2010 at 11:49 AM

My mother doesn’t care a lick about baseball. I get a kick out it when this Astoria/Bronx-raised lady calls the Mets “the team that plays on the landfill”.
    Mike–I think you’re being optimistic. I predict a hot streak in April or May and an extension for Omar, followed by a reversion to form.

5. XENA 29 - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM

WHEN WILL WE SEE THE END OF THE SAN JUAN METS ????????????????

6. Old Gator - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Soon, soon. If the Republicans win congress for their corporate pimps this November, sea level rise will quicken thanks to the global warming they want you to believe doesn’t exist – and rise about as quickly as your health insurance premiums did the moment CNN projected Scott Brown the winner of the Massachusetts special election.
    And why, you might ask – assuming that on Stupor Bowl Sunday morning you have enough interest in any other issue haunting the planet to ask at all – am I dragging up partisan politics (as opposed to what, non-partisan politics?) on a bog about the Mutts? Well, I’ll tell you – it’s just immediately pre-coffee free association resulting from the fortuitous collision of a blog about the Mutts front office, which seems to be staffed entirely with rear ends, and the necessity to whiz through the MSNBC Home Page (which I didn’t used to have to do when I had Windows XP, but Vista – the biggest mistake I ever made aside from marrying my first wife – well, it doesn’t let you do much right; if you could cleaned yourself with it in the morning, your underwear would be stained by evening), and said home page featured an article about the Democrats meeting in the heartlands to bemoan their enormous majority in both houses of congress and behave like a bunch of ADD patients who can’t afford their dexadrine spansules because the deductibles on their health insurance policies skyrocketed the day after they found themselves with only 59 seats in the Senate).
    And well, surely you can see how I merely freeassociated the Democrats with the Mutts front office, can’t you?

7. Ange54 - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM

NO ONE KNOWS….BASEBALL IS FULL OF SURPRISES…AFTER ALL, THEY ARE THE “MIRACLE METS”

8. John Pileggi - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Couple of weeks until Spring Training. Let’s leave them alone for a few weeks and see in a 60 days how bad it is.

9. ANGE54 - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM

WHY SAN JUAN?…MUST BE AN IGNORANT YANKEES FAN POSTING THI COMMENT…SAN JUAN IS THE CAPITAL OF PUERTO RICO. OMAR MINAYA’S HERITAGE IS FROM THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

10. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 7, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Omar recruits from all Latin American countries without discrimination. He’ll even sign a Canadian. It’s only USA guys he won’t sign.

11. Old Gator - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Steel, please don’t take this in the derisive spirit in which it is intended, but…”Omar recruits from all Latin American countries without discrimination. He’ll even sign a Canadian.” ROFLMAO. Your grasp of geography is even worse than Sarah Palin’s.

12. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:47 PM

My geography is fine, Gator, it’s just my phrasing that sucked. I didn’t mean to imply that Canada was part of Latin America. I meant that he’d be willing to sign any Latino, AND anyone else other than a citizen of the USA.
    BTW, I’m rarely offended by posts here, especially yours, which are almost always entertaining and sometimes rational.

13. oktoday - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:50 PM

As of now the Mets are just like they was last year at this time.
    With Bay taking Delgados place and coming in with healthy players, it sure looks like it is basically the same team to me.
    And they was picked to either win the WC, or their division. So why can’t that prediction happen now.

14. Luis - Feb 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM

People really need to stop encouraging this non sequitur-spewing fool.

15. Jack Meoffer - Feb 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Omar Minaya got the team he wanted. He has alienated a lot of NY Mets fans because of his insistance on a mostly hispanic team. He has looked the other way for years at other playes and instead is more interested in signing players with hispanic surnames.
    The Wilpons have to do what they have done with managers and former players. Eat the rest of his contract and get someone who is more qualified and will sign the right player for the right position. Not because he came from south of the Florida Keys.

16. Joe - Feb 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Ok, enough already. The Mets / Mutts stink just like the Knicks. Bad management and ownership does that. The Mets need new ownership. If the Wilpons cant see what Omar the Garbage Man is doing to the team, they have no clue about running a team. The Wilpons {I think thats the owners name} should wake up. The fans are starting to move in other directions, thats dollars lost and will never come back. Bays signing was desperation by Omar. Omar wanted to look good to the fans and offered Bay a deal he thought another team would go over. Omar never looked why Boston removed the 4 year deal with a 2 year deal. Bay has bad wheels, can not cover ground fielding. Homerun power in Citifield Bay will be lucky to hit 25 homeruns. $16.5 million a year for a DH in National League. Remember Holliday he signed for $17.14 million a year and hes healthy. Thats less than $1 million a year difference in pay between a DH and a real outfielder. If you owned the team and wanted to trade the player maybe 2 years from now who would have been easier to move. OK so lets not pile it on the Mutts it not the owners fault hes stupid.

17. Old Gator - Feb 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Then allow me to apologize for failing to offend you just long enough to beg your indulgence.
    When did I put up a…a…rational post? I may be able to correlate that with my medications schedule. Those generics, you can’t trust them.

18. willmose - Feb 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I am cutting the Mets some slack. Their problem starts at the top of management, the ownership level. Until that is fixed, the problems will continue. The Mets GM and manager are just average in their abilities to the run the team. It is the top of the organization that really stinks. Direction? What direction? Leadership? What leadership? A fundamental understanding of what it takes to win is totally lack at the top. It is not the players, the GM or the manager. It is the Wilpons, plain and simple. Until they grow a pair and purchase some AI, the Mets are in big trouble.

19. Joe - Feb 8, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Did I just notice the fan counts going up for the Hated Yankees, Phillies and even the Pirates, OK i’m pushing it a bit. The lack of ownership insite by the Mutts will kill the fan base. New home {Citifield} Paid mostly by the fans, higher priced tickets, deminished product on the field. This all adds up to less of a fan base, a lot less fans going to games, less sales at the store. This will end up just a big stupid move by the Mutts. Fix the team spend the money to recover the lost money. Free agency is almost dead now, the team needs a lot now it has to do trades to fill the needs and this will kill the minor league teams. If this is not done the team is done for more than a few years and will look like the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Mutts, the Knicks of Major League Baseball. I’m a Yankee fan but I do want to see the Mets not the Mutts play in the World Series against the Yankees. Other than that we could start a new Series The Mutts against the Pirates for the worst in baseball.

20. Chicago expatriate - Feb 8, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Okay, Mets fans. I know you don’t need me–an outsider, no less–to offer some sort of consolation, as that would probably come off as condescending. However, to borrow a phrase from a past President: I feel your pain.
    You see, once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I was but a fresh-faced 16 year-old resident of Chicago, and a fan of the 1984 Cubs–until recently, the single greatest playoff choke act since 1980. I won’t recall the collapse here, but it taught me something both fundamental and utterly pathetic about the “lovable losers”–the legions of die-hard Cubs’ fans are incapable–far more so than were Red Sox fans until 2004–of cognitively separating the quite different meanings of those two words. Over the years, I developed an absolute disdain for their management, and rightfully so, given their overall performance between 1985-2005. But, long before Pineilla was hired, I came to understand the real culprit in Chicago’s perennial exercise in masochism–the die-hard fans themselves: they are arrogant, entitled, intolerant, and absolutely unwilling to lose their faith or dare sway in their allegiance to their northside religion (don’t dare mention that “other” Chicago team in rabid Cubbie company–even though they won the whole thing in 2005). In other words, while the rest of the normal, nose-breathing world has understood that as long as the team breaks attendance records every year, they have no impetus to change the quality of the team. And yet to even hint that changes ouught be made is akin to heresy, punishable by emptying your Corona Light all over your brand new, “vintage” Izod shirt…
    You see where I am going with this, Mets fans. Yes, things do suck for you now, and you are in the same city with the Yankees and their fans, which can’t be easy on the ears or the nose. But at least it seems that the front office incompetence is grinding itself out, which opens a genuine opportunity for change. And at least you guys have the guts to hold your team accountable for what they do. Your team may be headed for more tought times in the near future, but you do have your self-respect–which is what may eventually get your team’s owners to start thinking clearly and making better decisions. Til then…

21. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 8, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Gator, I’m saying you’re rational at times. However, who’s to say that I’M rational when I say that?

22. search engine optimisation - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:15 AM

Hello, nice post. I look forward to your next topic. Thank you, Zoe

23. Jonny5 - Feb 8, 2010 at 8:59 AM

It’s become clear to most that Minaya felt he could put together a mostly hispanic team and be a true contender for the championship. it backfired. All those huge salaries for aging players isn’t the best approach, even if the players are hispanic Minaya you dope!!! I think he secretly wanted to prove that hispanics were the best players and acted on his feelings as far as that goes. Will they have an interpreter for Bay in the clubhouse is my question….??? Will he adapt to eating Plantains every day on the road without coming down with a mean case of the mudbutts??? Seriously these things must concern the fans…. Right?

24. Omar Minaya - Feb 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM

But I DID try to sign some guys…. it’s not fair… Waaaaaaahhh!!!

25. Sean - Feb 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Might as well call them the New York Mess for the next couple years, because that’s all they will be. Kinda makes me mad being a Mets fan since 1990.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3112)