UPDATE: Several teams in on Japanese left-hander

Feb 7, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT

Sunday: Roch Kubatko of MASN hears that Takahashi has rejected offers from the Mets and Orioles.  Scratch two more teams off the list.

Saturday, 6:09pm: Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News tweets that the Giants are assuming Takahashi will accept a minor league offer elsewhere.

Saturday, 2:39 pm: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets
that the Mets, Red Sox, Giants, Dodgers, Pirates and Padres are all
“considering” Japanese left-hander Hisanori Takahashi. “Considering”
can mean a lot of things, but earlier this week, Patrick Newman of NPB
Tracker passed along a Japanese media report which mentioned that the
Red Sox, Giants, Dodgers and Padres had all offered him minor league contracts. Heyman expects him to choose a team soon.

Takahashi,
who turns 35 in April, was 79-66 with a 3.70 ERA in 245 career games
with the Yomiuri Giants. The soft-tossing lefty projects as reliever in
the major leagues, and as far back as November, Newman suggested that he would be a good fit in the National League West. Sounds like he could be right on the money.

1. Old Gator - Feb 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM

“Several teams in on Japanese left-hander.” Sounds like something that Yukio Mishima might have enjoyed.
    I have always hoped that Takeshi Miike would make a baseball film – Ichi the Reliever or The Bird People in Baltimore or some such thing. Might still happen. Keep your karma crossed.

2. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Gator, that would be funny if we knew who those particular Japanese are.
    “The Fish People of Miami” would be a good one.

3. Old Gator - Feb 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Usually, I’m averse to doing other people’s research for them, especially considering all the trouble I’ve take to travel to Japan numerous times to wander around, meditate, eat and drink far too much, listen to great jazz with the most knowledgeable jazz fans in the world (sorry, Big Easy denizens – these cats got you beat), chase mukade out of my shoes every time I leave them outside a meditation garden, and watch lots of great movies. But I will, just this one time, have mercy on one who has obviously lost the use of his/her (that handle could go either way) typing fingers – carpal tunnel syndrome, maybe, or maybe you just ate too much carp? – and supply you with helpful links on these subjects:
    I would love Miike to come down here and make something with a title like that – although I think The Fish People of Macondo Banana Massacre Field might be more appropriate, given that the stadium will probably be ready by the time he releases the thing. But I do have one little warning: don’t…heh heh, inside Miike joke coming up here…audition for it.

4. Old Gator - Feb 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Sorry – make that the Feesh People….

5. rampage - Feb 15, 2010 at 1:55 AM

I like your site, and am trying to find your RSS link to add to google reader. I don’t see the link anywhere!

6. rampage shoes - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Hey I just found your site. We blog about similar topics, so I was wondering if you would be interested in exchanging blog links?

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey