Feb 8, 2010, 12:49 PM EDT
Last season Ty Wigginton started 38 games at first base, 35 games at third base, and 23 games at designated hitter for the Orioles, but with offseason signings Miguel Tejada and Garrett Atkins now manning the corner infield spots MASNSports.com’s Roch Kubatko speculates that Wigginton could be traded before Opening Day.
Tejada, Atkins, and Wigginton are all right-handed hitters, so there’s no real room for a time-sharing arrangement there, but the Orioles could give him starts platooning with left-handed bat Luke Scott at DH. Paying $3.5 million for a platoon DH probably doesn’t sound great to the Orioles, but that’s actually pretty close to the best possible use of Wigginton.
His glove isn’t much good anywhere and he typically struggles against right-handed pitching, but Wigginton has hit .286/.364/.496 against left-handers over the past three seasons. During that same time Scott batted .247/.319/.474 versus lefties, so by keeping Wigginton around the Orioles could add 50-75 points of OPS to the lineup when a southpaw is on the mound. And he also has some value as a backup 1B/3B/LF/RF/DH.
Of course, if they can get any kind of decent prospect for him they should. But that seems unlikely.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 16
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 26
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)