Feb 8, 2010, 12:49 PM EDT
Last season Ty Wigginton started 38 games at first base, 35 games at third base, and 23 games at designated hitter for the Orioles, but with offseason signings Miguel Tejada and Garrett Atkins now manning the corner infield spots MASNSports.com’s Roch Kubatko speculates that Wigginton could be traded before Opening Day.
Tejada, Atkins, and Wigginton are all right-handed hitters, so there’s no real room for a time-sharing arrangement there, but the Orioles could give him starts platooning with left-handed bat Luke Scott at DH. Paying $3.5 million for a platoon DH probably doesn’t sound great to the Orioles, but that’s actually pretty close to the best possible use of Wigginton.
His glove isn’t much good anywhere and he typically struggles against right-handed pitching, but Wigginton has hit .286/.364/.496 against left-handers over the past three seasons. During that same time Scott batted .247/.319/.474 versus lefties, so by keeping Wigginton around the Orioles could add 50-75 points of OPS to the lineup when a southpaw is on the mound. And he also has some value as a backup 1B/3B/LF/RF/DH.
Of course, if they can get any kind of decent prospect for him they should. But that seems unlikely.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)