Feb 8, 2010, 9:04 AM EDT
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors hears that former Athletics, Twins, Red Sox and Blue Jays outfielder Bobby Kielty is converting to pitching and that he actually has a pretty good slider.
There aren’t a ton of recent examples of position players with any kind of mileage on them converting into pitchers. Tony Pena is trying to do that with the Royals right now. Ron Mahay did it. I remember Mark Lemke trying to come back as a knuckleballer for a spell, but that didn’t work out. It’s a tough trick to be sure.
You have to wish Kielty good luck because it’s always cool to see unusual stuff go down. The only possible reservation I have is that if he does make the bigs as a reliever his last major league moment will no longer be hitting a pinch-hit, game-winning home run in the 2007 World Series, which is a pretty spiffy way to go out.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 2
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)