Feb 8, 2010, 9:04 AM EDT
Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors hears that former Athletics, Twins, Red Sox and Blue Jays outfielder Bobby Kielty is converting to pitching and that he actually has a pretty good slider.
There aren’t a ton of recent examples of position players with any kind of mileage on them converting into pitchers. Tony Pena is trying to do that with the Royals right now. Ron Mahay did it. I remember Mark Lemke trying to come back as a knuckleballer for a spell, but that didn’t work out. It’s a tough trick to be sure.
You have to wish Kielty good luck because it’s always cool to see unusual stuff go down. The only possible reservation I have is that if he does make the bigs as a reliever his last major league moment will no longer be hitting a pinch-hit, game-winning home run in the 2007 World Series, which is a pretty spiffy way to go out.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)