Feb 8, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
That sound you just heard was the optimism of Mariners fans blowing up like the Hindenburg.
OK, so that last sentence was way over the top. But there must be at least a little bit of concern in Seattle with the news from MLB.com that Cliff Lee underwent foot surgery on Friday.
The surgery, which was performed by Dr. Bryan Burke, removed a floating bone spur in Lee’s left foot that broke from its attachment. The procedure will not require Lee to wear a cast. He’s expected to return to normal baseball activities in the next two to three weeks, which means Lee will be unable to participate in workouts when Mariners pitchers and catchers report to camp in Peoria, Ariz., on Feb. 18.
“We decided Lee should have the surgery as soon as possible, rather than try to pitch with the discomfort during the year,” general manager Jack Zduriencik said. “To get it out of the way and have it behind us is important.”
This procedure looks like a minor thing, and it’s not as if Lee showed any signs of health problems in the playoffs.
Besides, with the magic Zduriencik has been working lately, I wouldn’t be all that surprised if he’s actually going to use the bone spur to clone a new and better Lee – and at half the price.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1