Feb 8, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Over the weekend D.J. Short wrote a lengthy, interesting article about whether or not the Mets have rushed Fernando Martinez’s development. I think the answer is a resounding “yes,” but you should definitely read his piece and decide for yourself.
As a follow-up to that, Martinez was named MVP of the Caribbean Series after hitting .348 with two homers on the Dominican Republic’s championship run. “This is very emotional,” Martinez told MLB.com. “To be able to contribute to the Dominican Republic team is something you dream about as a child. This is a wonderful feeling. I don’t have the words.”
That will no doubt get the hype machine going again, but a) his MVP-winning performance consisted of a mere 23 at-bats, and b) as D.J. points out the best thing for Martinez at this point would probably be to spend all of this season at Triple-A.
He’s never really been both healthy and productive at one level for more than half a season, yet is still just 21 years old and hopefully won’t be pressed into duty for the Mets with Jason Bay, Jeff Francoeur, Gary Matthews Jr., Angel Pagan, and (eventually) Carlos Beltran around.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 10
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights