Feb 8, 2010, 11:46 AM EST
Over the weekend D.J. Short wrote a lengthy, interesting article about whether or not the Mets have rushed Fernando Martinez’s development. I think the answer is a resounding “yes,” but you should definitely read his piece and decide for yourself.
As a follow-up to that, Martinez was named MVP of the Caribbean Series after hitting .348 with two homers on the Dominican Republic’s championship run. “This is very emotional,” Martinez told MLB.com. “To be able to contribute to the Dominican Republic team is something you dream about as a child. This is a wonderful feeling. I don’t have the words.”
That will no doubt get the hype machine going again, but a) his MVP-winning performance consisted of a mere 23 at-bats, and b) as D.J. points out the best thing for Martinez at this point would probably be to spend all of this season at Triple-A.
He’s never really been both healthy and productive at one level for more than half a season, yet is still just 21 years old and hopefully won’t be pressed into duty for the Mets with Jason Bay, Jeff Francoeur, Gary Matthews Jr., Angel Pagan, and (eventually) Carlos Beltran around.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)