Feb 8, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Over the weekend D.J. Short wrote a lengthy, interesting article about whether or not the Mets have rushed Fernando Martinez’s development. I think the answer is a resounding “yes,” but you should definitely read his piece and decide for yourself.
As a follow-up to that, Martinez was named MVP of the Caribbean Series after hitting .348 with two homers on the Dominican Republic’s championship run. “This is very emotional,” Martinez told MLB.com. “To be able to contribute to the Dominican Republic team is something you dream about as a child. This is a wonderful feeling. I don’t have the words.”
That will no doubt get the hype machine going again, but a) his MVP-winning performance consisted of a mere 23 at-bats, and b) as D.J. points out the best thing for Martinez at this point would probably be to spend all of this season at Triple-A.
He’s never really been both healthy and productive at one level for more than half a season, yet is still just 21 years old and hopefully won’t be pressed into duty for the Mets with Jason Bay, Jeff Francoeur, Gary Matthews Jr., Angel Pagan, and (eventually) Carlos Beltran around.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 12
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)