Feb 8, 2010, 11:46 AM EDT
Over the weekend D.J. Short wrote a lengthy, interesting article about whether or not the Mets have rushed Fernando Martinez’s development. I think the answer is a resounding “yes,” but you should definitely read his piece and decide for yourself.
As a follow-up to that, Martinez was named MVP of the Caribbean Series after hitting .348 with two homers on the Dominican Republic’s championship run. “This is very emotional,” Martinez told MLB.com. “To be able to contribute to the Dominican Republic team is something you dream about as a child. This is a wonderful feeling. I don’t have the words.”
That will no doubt get the hype machine going again, but a) his MVP-winning performance consisted of a mere 23 at-bats, and b) as D.J. points out the best thing for Martinez at this point would probably be to spend all of this season at Triple-A.
He’s never really been both healthy and productive at one level for more than half a season, yet is still just 21 years old and hopefully won’t be pressed into duty for the Mets with Jason Bay, Jeff Francoeur, Gary Matthews Jr., Angel Pagan, and (eventually) Carlos Beltran around.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 34
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 39
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)