Feb 8, 2010, 9:34 AM EST
I know it’s quite an honor for a guy to be given the Opening Day start — hell, if you listen to Jack Morris’ Hall of Fame supporters, Opening Day starts are more important than wins, strikeouts and ERA — but really, it’s just one game. And it’s one that you’re probably going to sell out anyway, because it’s, you know, Opening Day.
So if you have a box office draw as your ace like the Royals do in Zack Greinke, wouldn’t it make better economic sense to start him in the second Game of the season, thereby guaranteeing two sell outs instead of just one? As it is, Trey Hillman has decided to go with Greinke on Opening Day. What a terrible business decision.
OK, I can’t keep a straight face. If the Royals had implemented such a cynical line of reasoning, hadn’t made Greinke their Opening Day starter and deprived us of Greinke vs. Justin Verlander, I would have led the mob to the gates. I’ve heard some people talk about such a thing jokingly, however, and wanted to try it on for size. It doesn’t fit very well. I don’t think there will be an Opening Day matchup as good anywhere else, and I can’t wait for it.
In other news, I’m starting to get really excited about the season.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)