Quote of the Day: Rod Blagojevich

Feb 8, 2010, 12:17 PM EDT

I said to my daughter Amy, I said, ‘we’re five outs away from seeing
something that very few people sitting in this ballpark have ever seen,
and that is the Cubs actually going to the World Series.’ As soon as I
said that, (Luis) Castilla hit that foul ball, (Moises) Alou goes up to
get it, and, it turns out, we learned later his name was Steve Bartman,
he interfered with the ball. I was sitting in box seats at the time
and, by the way, I paid for those tickets myself.

Rod Blagojevich, simultaneously reminding Cubs fans of their worst baseball memory and the fact that their last governor was so corrupt that he has to specifically point out that he didn’t receive playoff tickets via graft.

1. Old Gator - Feb 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Craig, you can pop the tab off a cold one and kick back for the rest of the day. There’s no way you’re going to top that.
    The fact is, though, that I paid Steve Bartman to interfere with that popup…and this is how Scrooge McLoria pays me back?
    Phooey!

2. BC - Feb 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Is Ron Blagojevich actually Rod Blagojevich’s evil twin?

3. Ryan - Feb 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Just wait, whenever the Cubs actually do win the world series, much like Buckner did, Bartman will be back to throw out the first pitch. For the sake of Cubs fans though, I hope Bartman is still alive when that happens.

4. YankeesfanLen - Feb 8, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Stating the obvious is somewhat redundant in that even I used to get Cub tickets through a vendor-retailer arrangement, and parking across Waveland through an employer-employee quid-pro-quo. Chicagoans do this as not to lose the crown to the Garden State where the minimum salary for a water works administrator is $313,000.

5. Old Gator - Feb 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Sounds more like Rod is Ron’s evil twin.
    And don’t embarrass Craig like that. Call him a fraud, a sellout, a sportswriter manque – we all do that – but don’t embarrass him. He’s still got all his mirrors covered after that abysmal corporate sellout earlier this morning. It may well be that he’s taking the Bush Court’s majority decision far too literally, but he’s been out of practice for several weeks now and may be getting rusty.

6. Ice Berg - Feb 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Too long; Didn’t readevich

7. BC - Feb 8, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Oh definitely, I’ll give the guy a pass. That was like the pot calling the kettle black. Of course I am the guy who had a conversation with a nationally known journalist and was convinced that the backup QB on the 1979 Bills was Norris Weese.
    (It was Matt Robinson for those of you playing at home. So much for my 15 minutes of fame).

8. Levi Stahl - Feb 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Craig,
    I think you missed the larger point: we can now directly blame Blagojevich for the collapse! He said aloud what we all were thinking–and thereby clearly jinxed things!
    Which is good, since that’s almost the only thing we Illinoisans haven’t blamed him for thus far.

9. Jonny5 - Feb 8, 2010 at 1:10 PM

The mob never left Chicago, it just became politically active.

10. Moses Green - Feb 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Those tickets he purchased were the exception that proved the rule, they obviously stood out in his memory for the wrong reason. Has no one close to the Guv pointed out that every time he opens his mouth things get 7% worse for everyone around him? Just stop talking, Champ.

11. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM

does he have proof he paid for the tickets, just asking.

12. Ross - Feb 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Yes,Rod, you paid for your tickets all by yourself. Such a good boy. Now, do you remember exactly which pile of money you used to buy them?

13. MiloradB - Feb 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Don’t get it. Who is Ron Blagojevich.

14. Husky Chainsaw - Feb 23, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I bookmarked this post on digg and reddit by the way. I think people really need to read this.

15. Chain saw - Mar 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Hey, any way we could get together for some advertising efforts?

16. Romeo Meadville - Mar 2, 2010 at 3:22 AM

maybe you would enjoy my site, i certainly enjoyed yours.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3985)