Schilling: the Sox should sign Josh Beckett now

Feb 8, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT

Curt Schilling, arguing that the Red Sox should sign Josh Beckett to a contract extension right now:

Here’s why, barring some freakish medical issue which I assume he
doesn’t have or there would be bigger problems, you sign Josh now. The one worry, other than health, you have when signing ANY player
to a long term contract is the player themselves. Are they going to
keep grinding, working, wanting it?

That’s where this becomes a no brainer. I know Josh as well as
anyone knows Josh. There is not a sliver of a chance that you get
anything less than his total focus, concentration and effort for every
day he’s under contract, no matter who that is with.

Schilling-the-blogger is most associated with the Red Sox. I’m guessing a good 80% or more of his readers are Sox fans.  I’m guessing a good 80% of them know that the Red Sox front office under Theo Epstein doesn’t give a diddly durn about how bad someone wants it. Dave Roberts wanted it bad and worked hard. Nomar wanted it bad and worked hard. So did Pedro. So did Jason Bay. And the front office cut the cord on those dudes because they make a point of signing guys who not only work hard, but who play well, stay healthy and who won’t cost radically more than the Red Sox think they can be expected to be worth over the course of the deal.

If Beckett wants Lackey money or better, the Sox will probably let him walk. If he’ll take something shorter or cheaper-per-year and he has a good season in 2010, he’ll stay.  It’s pretty simple really.  It doesn’t matter how hard Beckett works. It doesn’t matter how bad he wants to win.  It ain’t personal. It’s just business.

1. YX - Feb 8, 2010 at 4:52 PM

If all Beckett wants is Lackey money, it’s not a bad deal. They are essentially the same pitcher, and there is value in a known property.
    If he wants CC Money, well, too bad it’s not 2007 anymore.

2. ecp - Feb 8, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I agree that if Beckett wants Lackey contract the Sox will let him go…but I also think that’s odd, because I’d rather have Beckett for that money. But I also think that Lackey got more than he’s going to be worth.

3. Moses Green - Feb 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I started out reading this article wanting to hate Schilling even more by the end of it and then post something witty along the lines of “Shut up Schilling you big A-hole you” but I have to agree with him here. Beckett is better than Lackey, and I won’t argue the point. I won’t, you hear me? He’s more durable and a better pitcher.

4. Moses Green - Feb 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Egad the new logo is hideous.

5. Black Finnegan - Feb 8, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I DEMAND MY BORGES STORY

6. BaseballFan2 - Feb 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Lackey definitely got paid too much – that was a panic move on the part of Theo. Uncharacteristic too – I guess the Sox didn’t want to come up totally empty handed in the off season and it seems they’d already decided to let Bay walk.
    Beckett is a good pitcher, but he’s not the pitcher he was 3 years ago, and there’s no way the Sox will offer him the same kind of money Lackey got. They way overpaid for Matsusaka as well, and they aren’t going to do it a third time. My guess is they will see how Lackey holds up (not a sure thing with his injury history), and if he does okay they’d rather spend the money on some offense. Papi is not a scary hitter anymore, and Bay was their biggest threat. With him gone, there is going to be a serious power outage in Boston. Better go find a big bat instead.

7. Nasty Boy - Feb 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I agree with BaseballFan2, He is not the pitcher he was . I wouldn’t call him a big game pitcher anymore. Boston’s main competition , the Yankees have always knocked him around .The only time he got the Yankees , was when he was with Florida, in the series. That was along time ago. I also agree big money to him from Boston is over. Ask Damon what happens to you when there isn’t competition for your services.

8. Mister Snitch - Feb 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM

On Extra Bases, the clown brigade is using this little flap as an opportunity to dump on Abraham. Fortunately, on this blog, simple logic prevails.

9. Mike - Feb 8, 2010 at 10:41 PM

1) Nasty Boy, facts are usually important when trying to make a point. In the last 3 seasons (2007-2009), Beckett is 7-3 with a 4.38 ERA with a 0.75 WHIP and a 73/22 K/BB ratio in 13 starts and 86.1 innings against the Yankees. Beckett’s certainly not dominating the Yankees, but he’s hardly getting “knocked around.” But don’t let the numbers get in the way of your argument or anything…
    2) Craig, Dave Roberts was traded in 2005 under the auspices of giving him the opportunity to find a starting gig somewhere. The Red Sox had dramatic partings with Nomar, Pedro, and Bay, clearly rejecting them, but the FO had a different message about Roberts, true or not.

10. wickethewok - Feb 8, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Wait, what would be wrong with Beckett getting what Lackey got? Their career statistics are surprisingly similar (Beckett’s non-defensive-dependent stats look better) and Beckett is two years younger.

11. yankeh8r - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:10 AM

You’re an idiot if you think there won’t be competition for his services if he files for free agency. He’s farm from being Judas Demon and he doesn’t have Scoot BorASS for an agent.

12. MVD - Feb 9, 2010 at 3:45 AM

John Lackey got “AJ Burnett” money, a sum which neither pitcher is really worth. Josh Beckett is better than both. The Red Sox telling him he’s not worth 90 for 5 years seems a little hypocritical in light of Lackey’s signing, even if it make sense in the big picture. AJ got lucky with the Yankees throwing money around. If Beckett is only ‘worth’ 75 Million for 5 years, then Burnett and Lackey are really ‘worth’ just about 60.

13. Jack - Feb 9, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Now starting for your 2011 Baltimore Orioles….

14. Jonny5 - Feb 9, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Why doesn’t Schilling just shut the hell up until he owns or manages his own team!! How ’bout dem apples? Seriously though SHUT UP!!! You’re a douche!

15. Talex - Feb 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM

The Lackey signing signals to me that the Red Sox are not going to resign Beckett. Lackey is a great #3 pitcher, but he got a big contract like a number one. If he can get that type of money then Josh Beckett is going to want in excess of 100m. So basically, if Cliff Lee is available, I would think the Yankees, who will have Pettitte ($11m), Vasquez ($11m), Swisher ($7m), and about another $10 million from flotsom and jetsom coming off the books, will go after Lee. If Lee isn’t available: can you say Josh Becket in pinstripes?
    The Red Sox would be very dumb to let this happen!

16. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Swisher is signed thru ’11 with a club option for ’12 ($1M Buyout). But yes, Pettitte and Vazquez’s deals are done, as are Jeter’s and Rivera’s. It will be an interesting offseason for the Yanks.

17. Kab - Feb 9, 2010 at 10:12 AM

how is lackey even in becketts class??
    On the open market beckett would make more than that. u dont think the yankees would sign him just to tweak the sox faithful?

18. Nasty Boy - Feb 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I didn’t mean to imply that there wouldn’t be teams after him. I just feel he isn’t what he was. I felt he was a real stopper. I don’t begrudge Damon, he found out the Yankees just didn’t want him anymore, and once they don’t want you your value goes down. I do agree Boras hurt him. I bet Damon would take that two year 14 mil now. Good luck Johnny.

19. Nasty Boy - Feb 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Jonny5 , How about him sticking his phony ass bloody sock into his big mouth. The guy is a back stabbing big mouth has been.

20. talex - Feb 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM

“once they don’t want you your value goes down.” –Isn’t that the Red Sox? See Bay, Manny, Nomar, Pedro, Millar, and soon to be Pabelbon.
    It’s not the Yankees who don’t want Damon. It’s all of major league baseball!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3168)