Feb 8, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT
Dierkes has put together an “all-star” team of players who have yet to be signed. The scare quotes denote the fact that, generally speaking the pickings are slim.
Maybe I’m being overly harsh, but I think maybe four of those guys truly deserve to start in the Majors. A few others have an argument for starting but no one will consider it an injustice if they don’t. A lot of it is plain old dreck.
But, in keeping with the positive attitude today, the fact that the free agent pickings are extraordinarily slim is but yet another sign that the season is getting closer.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)