Feb 8, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
Pluto notes, like everyone else, that Dye’s defense is something of a train wreck anymore, but he also notes something else people overlook when talking about the thump left in his bat: Dye hit .179 with a .590 OPS after the All-Star Break, with only seven homers and 29 RBI. Granted, he’s probably still better than that, but between the uncertainty of how he’ll do, his awful defense and the fact that the Tribe already has a very expensive, full-time DH in Travis Hafner, one wonders how well Dye really fits in Cleveland.
To that end, Pluto mentions that the Indians are also looking at Jonny Gomes and Russell Branyan, each of whom seem like would be better bets.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)