Feb 8, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
Pluto notes, like everyone else, that Dye’s defense is something of a train wreck anymore, but he also notes something else people overlook when talking about the thump left in his bat: Dye hit .179 with a .590 OPS after the All-Star Break, with only seven homers and 29 RBI. Granted, he’s probably still better than that, but between the uncertainty of how he’ll do, his awful defense and the fact that the Tribe already has a very expensive, full-time DH in Travis Hafner, one wonders how well Dye really fits in Cleveland.
To that end, Pluto mentions that the Indians are also looking at Jonny Gomes and Russell Branyan, each of whom seem like would be better bets.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 39
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)