Why is truck day such a big deal all of a sudden?

Feb 8, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT

They’ve made a mini-celebration out of “Truck Day” in Boston — that day when the semis full of gear leave Fenway and head down to Ft. Myers — for the past ten years or so. Kinda silly, but a nice enough little ceremony. Better than the groundhog as far as harbingers of spring go anyway.

This is the first year, however, where I’ve heard of other teams — or fans of other teams — making hay over their own Truck Days.  The chatter on this has been growing all week.  MLB.com has a whole article about it today, talking about various trucks leaving various parks for various spring training destinations.  Which leads me to ask two questions:

1) Has this always happened? I’ll grant that I may have missed it in the past — I’m obviously following things a lot closer this winter than I did back when I was a working stiff — but I have no memory whatsoever of anyone but the Red Sox making a big deal out of it before this year, and even then it was a really minor and relatively recent phenomenon;

2) If I’m not imagining it and it is a new thing, do we give the people at MLB credit for coming up with a new marketing/promotional thing, or do we heap scorn on them for synthesizing some phony fan event, ripping off the Red Sox or whatever?  Because I’m kind of confused about it.

1. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 9, 2010 at 9:18 AM

“Sweet Caroline.” Wasn’t that on his Please Squash Me Like a Bug album?
    To be honest, I can’t figure out why anyone would ever want to play or listen to Neil Diamond. His dreck is the very apotheosis of kitsch.

Couldn’t agree more, except if it’s Will Ferrel doing Neil Diamond on SNL.
    As for the Fordham professor, the faculty directory is down, but here’s the music/art page. I took my required music class with Rev Boyce. Still miss that place. Class of ’03.

2. TF in Tampa - Feb 9, 2010 at 10:12 AM

As I started to say late last night, before my eyeballs started to circumvent and inspect the inner part of my cerebrum to see if it was still functioning, I am a product of the Xaverian Brothers from St. John’s in MA. not Brooklyn, although I had a 1st cousin who was Headmaster of Xaverian HS in Brooklyn for many yrs.
    My humble and poor Grandfather, like your Father and family, worked long and hard as a longshoreman in and around the NYC docks. My Father grew up in a cold water flat on the lower west side in the Chelsea section of Manhattan. He was the only one of 6 children to attend high school, that being La Salle in downtown NYC.
    From there, and here is the ironic part, my Father attended Fordham U 1935-40 up in the Bronx, enrolled in the ROTC program majoring in pre-med, graduated 1940, married my Mom, then shipped off to join Gen Patten’s 5th Army in northern Africa, helping to chase Rommel and his thugs up through Italy and eventually back into Germany. [thats the end of our history lesson for today]
    I know I don’t tell a story as well as you but there’s the connection, small world if you ask me.
    Feel free to elaborate, Professor, as I’m most interested in hearing that Bela Lugosi story you mentioned when your ready to share it with me.
    Have a good trip to NM, and I wish you a momentous and memorable lecturing session.

3. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Still the height of Fordham’s athletic prowess, sad to say =\

4. Old Gator - Feb 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Gotta run – but hell, “Rommel and his thugs”? After five decades of mythmaking had him rehabilitated as the one Nazi we could all love and admire? Aww, you’ll be deconstructing Albert Speer next.
    Se necessita volar. Mas mas tarde.

5. TF in Tampa - Feb 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Thank you for your post.
    I’m sad to say that my Dad’s no longer with me here to reminisce those great athletic glory days you refer to of Fordham’s years gone by, so I’m at the endearing mercy of all of you to fill in any blanks.
    I do know that my Dad ran track, competing well in the 440 and 880, in meets held around the city including the old Madison Square Garden.
    Also, Dad did tell me that he attended Fordhams’s football games there that the great Vince Lombardi played in during those years. To the best of my knowledge, Vince graduated 2 yrs before my Dad, and the rest is history, as they say.

6. t-shirts - Feb 22, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Wow, outstanding info. Your blog is really awesome. I bookmarked this and will return once again.

7. Darin Nolazco - Feb 22, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Wow, really info. Your blog is really awesome. I bookmarked this and will return again.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3788)